NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback from judge 1807

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 11:17am
Hey! Let's quit ganging up on each other. No one likes harsh feedback, OK? NO ONE. For example, there is not a soul out there who would receive a 1-star review of a book they published and feel gleeful and upbeat about it. So can we show some support for each other? Geez. 
MattrickBT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 2:51pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

No one likes harsh feedback, OK? NO ONE. For example, there is not a soul out there who would receive a 1-star review of a book they published and feel gleeful and upbeat about it.

I relish harsh, genuine feedback. You don't understand me at all Cry
Bottlerocket23 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Bottlerocket23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 10:24pm
I got 3 points on my round 1 story. The feedback was really nice and encouraging and left me wondering if all that was true, why did I only get 3 points? So honestly I'd rather get "mean" feedback that actually tells me something. I take all criticism/encouragement with a grain of salt, anyway.
Cowyoga View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Cowyoga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 10:36pm
Originally posted by MattrickBT MattrickBT wrote:

No one likes harsh feedback, OK? NO ONE. For example, there is not a soul out there who would receive a 1-star review of a book they published and feel gleeful and upbeat about it.

Nobody is trying to understand you, you aggressively typical bore.
FFC Ch2 Gr63 Not in My Back Yard (15 pts)
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Bottlerocket23 Bottlerocket23 wrote:

I got 3 points on my round 1 story. The feedback was really nice and encouraging and left me wondering if all that was true, why did I only get 3 points? So honestly I'd rather get "mean" feedback that actually tells me something. I take all criticism/encouragement with a grain of salt, anyway.

I think what would have helped you would be if in the feedback they included the % they gave for each area of judging that they list in the rules.  For some reason they don't do that.  Don't think it would be too hard to list that beside each judges number as 10/10/50 out of whatever it is 15/15/70 for full marks sounds familiar.
Bottlerocket23 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Bottlerocket23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 10:39pm
Agreed
Homeland View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Homeland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 10:49pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

I think what would have helped you would be if in the feedback they included the % they gave for each area of judging that they list in the rules.  For some reason they don't do that.  Don't think it would be too hard to list that beside each judges number as 10/10/50 out of whatever it is 15/15/70 for full marks sounds familiar.

There is no rubric for good writing. There is no percentage of 'good plot' that a story or novel must meet. We're all engaged in a subjective art where there are no right answers. What makes Munro or Doctorow stay around for ages? It's not because they're checking off boxes. It's because they've developed a subjective ability to write.

This competition happens to employ these percentages, but if that's how you're judging yourself as a writer trying to improve, it won't help you improve at all.

PS, I am very ready to be called a hater.
R2 GR78 Pol. Satire McLeader's
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by Homeland Homeland wrote:

Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

I think what would have helped you would be if in the feedback they included the % they gave for each area of judging that they list in the rules.  For some reason, they don't do that.  Don't think it would be too hard to list that beside each judges number as 10/10/50 out of whatever it is 15/15/70 for full marks sounds familiar.

There is no rubric for good writing. There is no percentage of 'good plot' that a story or novel must meet. We're all engaged in a subjective art where there are no right answers. What makes Munro or Doctorow stay around for ages? It's not because they're checking off boxes. It's because they've developed a subjective ability to write.

This competition happens to employ these percentages, but if that's how you're judging yourself as a writer trying to improve, it won't help you improve at all.

PS, I am very ready to be called a hater.

Though you might be right in the outside world, here in this contest we are judged on these percentages.  As for your not minding being a hater - get the hat and see how it goes.

Edited by Suave - 17 Sep 2017 at 10:54pm
Homeland View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Homeland Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Sep 2017 at 10:57pm
Out of curiosity, what's the most negative feedback on a piece of your writing you've received before this?
R2 GR78 Pol. Satire McLeader's
MegOverman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegOverman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Sep 2017 at 12:26am
Originally posted by Cowyoga Cowyoga wrote:

Originally posted by MattrickBT MattrickBT wrote:

Nobody is trying to understand you, you aggressively typical bore.

NEW theory. Cowyoga IS judge 1807. LOL
Have a glass of wine and take it like a writer.

R1 - A Waste of Stars (Drama)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 20>