NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's up with the LATE results?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mnchaison Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What's up with the LATE results?
    Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 10:06am
The suspense is killing me. Does anyone know what's going on?
Michelle :)
http://wouldyoufancythat.blogspot.com/

"Recedite, plebes! Gero rem imperialem."
tmoraca View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tmoraca Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 10:08am
Eh, they're always late on results. Don't hold your breath; I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't show up until after we start writing again!
Short Story Challenge 2012

Round 2, Group 3, What I Remember
LLeopardGGecko View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLeopardGGecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 10:34am
I'm just trying to focus on other writing while I wait, but it sure ain't easy. It's not like how I score in Round 1 will directly effect how I write in Round 1.5, so in a way, it's almost better that I don't see my score until after Round 1.5 is over.

Or so I tell myself!
My Challenge #2 Story - Group 2, Historical Fiction, Pharmacy, Flask: A Vague Foreboding.
NinjaHero View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NinjaHero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 10:43am
This is my first contest, so I have no idea if they are all the same or not. But having paid money to join this contest, I expected them to keep their own deadlines. Not providing the results on time is a little unprofessional.

NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLeopardGGecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 11:14am
Originally posted by NinjaHero NinjaHero wrote:

This is my first contest, so I have no idea if they are all the same or not. But having paid money to join this contest, I expected them to keep their own deadlines. Not providing the results on time is a little unprofessional.

I have to agree. If this contest were free, then it'd be different, but having paid decent money to participate, I expect results on time.

They technically still have until the end of the day if they're aiming to keep their deadline, so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.
My Challenge #2 Story - Group 2, Historical Fiction, Pharmacy, Flask: A Vague Foreboding.
NinjaHero View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NinjaHero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 11:20am
Originally posted by mra061818 mra061818 wrote:

From the official rules:

Challenge Results and Group Finalists Announcements - All Challenge results and Group Finalists will be
announced according to the schedule below:
Challenge Challenge Results & Finalists Announcements
1st round - Challenge #1: 11:59PM EDT on September 3, 2008

Late

Edited by NinjaHero - 04 Sep 2008 at 11:20am
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LLeopardGGecko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 11:32am
Oh, well in my story confirmation email it said that we'd get results by September 4th.
NinjaHero View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NinjaHero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 11:37am
Either way we have no choice but to wait. But they are officially late.

I still love the contest idea, and I had a blast writing my first story. I can't wait for the next assignment.
sutekh137 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sutekh137 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 11:43am
And as long as the judging is done in a "blind" or "double-blind" fashion, it really doesn't matter what our scores are (yet).  They will all be combined later to decide who goes on to Round 2 (and beyond).

My worry (posted on another thread) was that if the judging isn't done anonymously, a judge could be looking at both of my stories in round 1 at the same time, and that might bias the results (e.g. a judge just hates my first try, and that biases the read of the second story).  Since we don't really know how the judging is carried out, and first results are already late, that doesn't really do much for my overall confidence level.  :\

But onward, and hopefully upward!  *smile*

JoeK
linguist View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote linguist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Sep 2008 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by sutekh137 sutekh137 wrote:

And as long as the judging is done in a "blind" or "double-blind" fashion, it really doesn't matter what our scores are (yet). 

Don't they strip off your name (ie the cover page) so the judges don't know who wrote what? At least that's what I understood from the rules of the road.

That said, I can't stop hitting the standings page...I'm going nutty.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>