NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Results Are In !!!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 16>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:00am
Originally posted by td333777 td333777 wrote:

Lisa, I read your story and truly enjoyed it (I didn't comment because I didn't think I had anything to say that hadn't been said already) so I too am surprised it didn't score better.  But to be honest, political satire is such a freaking landmine, anything is possible.  I know you'll blow the second round out of the water.  I, on the other hand, will now receive political satire as a genre.  You should be able to hear my cursing all the way in NJ. :)

Trey

Thank you, I really appreciate it. Goal now is just to have fun with Round 2. 

Sending positive vibes to you for a genre you like! (And it seems in your signature you placed first in your heat - congratulations! I'll stop by to read asap).
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
De Chelonian Mobile View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote De Chelonian Mobile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:14am
I'm feeling like a low score gives me the freedom to throw off any regard for round two judging. Now I can write whatever I want in the next round and post it for peer review. If I draw Horror or Drama or Romance, I'll just take the prompts and write Comedy. I was a little bummed about scoring low, but now I'm psyched! Thank you judges! You have set me free!!!!
dias View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:43am
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

Ultimately, what I turned in worked for me, and I'm good with that. I would rather risk a story I can say I struggled with than turn in something I didn't work hard on.

Well said! Big fat zero for me too, but onwards and upwards...
All my stories are here!
Andrea View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andrea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:55am
What a good attitude. I'm going to follow your lead!
DBA Lehane View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 2:05am
15 points for a story researched and written inside 2 hours, and submitted by the Saturday lunchtime. Pretty happy with that.
Screenplay Challenge 2020 Finalist.
SSC 2014 Finalist.
FFC 2015 4th Placed Finalist.
Alexis_H View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexis_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 2:14am
Very surprised by a 9, but delighted.

What is surprising me more is some of the zero and low points on here. Proof that the judges do not know all.
Archive
250 R2
<a href="https://tinyurl.com/YACCMMDD" rel="nofollow">250 (R1)</
DBA Lehane View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 2:31am
Originally posted by Alexis_H Alexis_H wrote:

What is surprising me more is some of the zero and low points on here. Proof that the judges do not know all.

Or that we don't know all? Sometimes I do think the peer reviewing gets an over inflated value. Seeing as the judges are the only ones who ever get to see ALL the submissions, they are the only ones who can give an informed albeit still subjective scoring.

A zero or low score doesn't mean the story was a bad one, it could be fantastic in every sense - however it simply means there were 15 even more excellent ones.

Edited by DBA Lehane - 14 Sep 2017 at 2:35am
Screenplay Challenge 2020 Finalist.
SSC 2014 Finalist.
FFC 2015 4th Placed Finalist.
pedrothefish View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pedrothefish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 2:58am
Zero for me-on to the next one!
(Please FF gods-no more pol/sat or comedy.)
localhomiesexual View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote localhomiesexual Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 3:03am
Got a 2 for my first round (and first competition) but I think it's too early to feel resigned yet!
I hope everyone gives it their best this weekend no matter the result. Smile
Tonight's forecast: 100% Advil

FFCH1 2017 — Rout(e)

FFCH2 2017 — Harlowe and the Frost King
Alexis_H View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alexis_H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 3:06am
I am definitely in the "not knowing all" category also, but I do know what I liked to read. The judges scores cannot reflect that so they too are in the same category as I.

Peer review doesn't comment on the same aspects that judges do. We allow our fellow competitors more leeway on criteria and tend to comment on the content first then throw in some contest related critiques (in general, not always) and I've tended to find these the most constructive also.
Archive
250 R2
<a href="https://tinyurl.com/YACCMMDD" rel="nofollow">250 (R1)</
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 16>