NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A new(ish) flash fiction competition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (7) Thanks(7)   Quote innatejames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A new(ish) flash fiction competition
    Posted: 21 Aug 2017 at 6:01pm
TODAY OCTOBER 11 IS THE LAST DAY TO REGISTER. HURRY! DON'T MISS THE FUN!

The YeahWrite Super Challenge is a  three-round writing competition that includes judges' feedback, challenging prompts, and cash prizes (the more people who participate, the larger the prizes!). The entrance fee is $30.

Here are our schedule and prompt summaries:
October 13-15 
Writers will receive a combination of three prompts, drawn from the following, to include in their story. While no single prompt needs to be the main focus of the story, all must be included in such a way as to be integral to the plot. There are no genre restrictions, unless one of the prompts is a genre.

October 27-29
Writers will receive two genres and must tell a story that is a combination of the main tropes of both genres. Some genres that may be included are: romance, mystery, horror, fairy tale, fantasy, western, science fiction. There are no character, setting, or topic restrictions, but elements of both genres must be clearly identifiable in the finished story.

November 10-12
Writers will receive a brief plot outline and must write a story that the summary could plausibly be used to describe. (example: After hypnotizing a dying patient, a doctor has a remarkable conversation with them.) There are no genre restrictions.

Check out more of the details of the YeahWrite Super Challenge #6. Click the fees and registration box to sign up! And feel free to ask me any questions!

Nate

Edited by innatejames - 11 Oct 2017 at 2:37pm
FF R3 G19 The Event Planner (Suspense)
ShroudedWolf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ShroudedWolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 2:30pm
I'm considering it this year. :) 
Ornery Angel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ornery Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2017 at 2:48pm
I would love to participate in the any of a number of the challenges you have setup, but they seem really confusing. The site references a grid, but I can't find the grid and I keep getting rerouted back to a page that has a lot of editorial content, but no clear instruction on how to participate. What gives?
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2017 at 6:29am
I did enter last time.  Info was very scarce throughout; it seemed they were more into their other projects they had going on.  And, I think, there were only 20 or so entrants which might have had something to do with the attention it garnered from the staff.

Edited by Suave - 23 Aug 2017 at 10:31pm
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2017 at 8:20am
I'm trying it out. We'll see how it turns out...
innatejames View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote innatejames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 12:55pm
Originally posted by Ornery Angel Ornery Angel wrote:

I would love to participate in the any of a number of the challenges you have setup, but they seem really confusing. The site references a grid, but I can't find the grid and I keep getting rerouted back to a page that has a lot of editorial content, but no clear instruction on how to participate. What gives?

Sorry, orneryangel, just seeing your comment. 

(Hopefully) clear instruction on how to participate can be found on the Jump In page

Finding the grids: Go to the main site. Click on any of the badges under "Weekly Writing Challenges" and you will see blog posts containing the latest grids. There is one grid for each challenge each week. The Nonfiction grid opens on Mondays; Fiction|poetry opens on Tuesdays; Microprose opens the first Wednesday of the month. All grids close on Wednesday at 9pm EDT. All the grids for the challenges this week are closed because I'm writing this on a Thursday, but here's a link for the voting grid.

We also host the Superchallenges four times a year. You can check that here. The superchallenge works similarly to the NYCM challenges. 

I'm happy to answer any more questions.

Nate
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote innatejames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:00pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

I did enter last time.  Info was very scarce throughout; it seemed they were more into their other projects they had going on.  And, I think, there were only 20 or so entrants which might have had something to do with the attention it garnered from the staff.

I see your registration, Suave. You participated in the first fiction superchallenge ever. Hopefully, we've ironed out a few kinks since then. For instance, we give more editorial comments now than we used to. If you're willing to give us feedback so we can improve, I'd so appreciate it! My email is nate@yeahwrite.me 

Edited by innatejames - 14 Sep 2017 at 1:40pm
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote innatejames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:04pm
Originally posted by Zblugg Zblugg wrote:

I'm trying it out. We'll see how it turns out...

Fantastic Zblugg! Good luck!

Let me know if you have any questions! I'm available until the competition begins, and then I'll be judging so you'll want to send any queries that come up after that to superchallenge@yeahwrite.me

Nate

Edited by innatejames - 14 Sep 2017 at 1:29pm
MattrickBT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:06pm
One contest is enough for me. I have several novels and other stories to work on instead of these disposable stories.
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote innatejames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by ShroudedWolf ShroudedWolf wrote:

I'm considering it this year. :) 

This is exciting news, Jack! I hope you'll give us a try.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 20>