FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What if you get a zero?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What if you get a zero?
    Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 1:49am
and U can be found at sootfoot5@gmail.com  Star

Regnian View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Regnian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2017 at 1:22am
Sweet video."Yeah, let's do it, f* it."  lol Very relatable, haha. 
CH2 GR58: Torn Away 9 Points
My projects: AMMcCann.com
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 1:41pm
Hey Soot! I'll gladly provide something for next year's movie! ;) 

Paulene: I know the idea here is to enjoy the journey as much as the destination, and regardless, I love the piece I wrote, and know that the human factor cannot be emphasized enough: writers and judges alike, we're all human, and as such, we all differ in terms of tastes, opinions, and objectivity (a utopia, that one). So. Now that the "judging deadline" approaches, I feel less "engaged", in a way, in that I'll take whatever result I get, and am REALLY looking forward to writing again.

As much as I fancy myself a rational over emotional, I do get carried away for things like that... 

Pfff. Silly human. LOL
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2017 at 12:01am

I love Flash - I love that we get to write again! It makes it so coooooool!

Come on Zblugg - be in next year's movie...pretty please! 

Maybe you'll become a star!  StarStarStar
paulene.turner View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote paulene.turner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Sep 2017 at 3:39am
Originally posted by Zblugg Zblugg wrote:

No gonna lie: I'll be utterly disappointed. I mean, I've written sh*tty stuff before, or just stuff that I found were not up to par. But my round 1 endeavor, I think, is very good. And I've never been one to actually enjoy my own writing. This one I really love, though, for some reason.

So... yeah. It would probably crush me. Ermm

But as you said, sootfoot5, we do get to write again regardless!
Hi Zblugg, you're being honest here. It does hurt to get zero, or even a low score. And no question your piece was very good. But, no matter what, don't be crushed. At the end of the day, it's just the opinion of judges who are time-pressured with a lot of stories to read and compare. Sometimes worthy stories slip through. And even if they don't think they're worthy, you do! Which is the most important thing! Quite often you find an audience outside of this competition in some of the writing markets. I've seen - and quite recently - stories that have been ripped to the shreds by the judges praised to the skies by other publishing markets. Everything in writing is subjective. Your opinion is as likely to be right as theirs - no matter what. (And I will have to keep reminding myself of that too.) Cheers
R1, G46, Comedy ANGEL OF ROCK ;

sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2017 at 12:23pm
Speaking of "upping the stakes", I'm also doing that in a sense.  I've always gathered submissions so that I had to rush to put the movie together. The past two years, in particular, were problematic because we had just arrived in PEI and I was supposed to out doing fun things.  My husband was rather pissed about the whole thing and wants me to quit doing the movies altogether.

Instead, I'm going to require everyone to send me their clips MUCH earlier.  This will benefit me a great deal.  I'm also making the announcements about the movie now which, I hope, will allow new people to participate and for people to team up, if possible.  The stakes are "upped" for everyone! 
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Dibs on "upping the stakes"... ;)

I think we could have an angry mob shouting out "upping the stakes" given the amount of times this has been suggested in EVERY. SINGLE. COMPETITION.

On stories whose stakes were plenty high already.

You can see why I felt the need to call dibs early - in any presentation on the judges, this one will surely come up.  I already have some ideas.  Wanna team up? :)
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 12:53pm

Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

great great great Jenna!  I've already had a few newbie actors contact me but not many. I love your idea, but you always have good ones.  You are right on target!  Yes, I'm pretty much sold on this as the theme.  Any of us who have been around NYC even a short while have gotten some absurd feedback at one time or another!

I think we could have an angry mob shouting out "upping the stakes" given the amount of times this has been suggested in EVERY. SINGLE. COMPETITION.
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
jenspenden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jenspenden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 12:43pm

Originally posted by jenspenden jenspenden wrote:

Oh my gosh, soot. That'd be hilarious! I want to be the "Disney" judge!!!! "Fairy tales MUST have a happily ever after." AngryAngryAngry I will douse myself in glitter, hold a giant lollipop, and have a unicorn sitting next to me. And, of course, wear all pink and curl my blonde hair, and add another dash of glitter. Happiness, happiness EVERYWHERE! Dead

Sooty, this is now mandatory.  Jen I will *send you a vat of glitter.

Glitter! Glitter everywhere! LOL

nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Sep 2017 at 9:32am
Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

great great great Jenna!  I've already had a few newbie actors contact me but not many. I love your idea, but you always have good ones.  You are right on target!  Yes, I'm pretty much sold on this as the theme.  Any of us who have been around NYC even a short while have gotten some absurd feedback at one time or another!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>