NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Number of Contestants, Prompts Organized

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 11:06pm
I would be surprised if the judges don't get some compensation. Then there's the cost of running the electronics behind the scenes - servers, web pages, and the like. And the admin/overhead. Maybe $500K/yr right now? It might not be as profitable as it looks.

Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 11:10pm
judges do get paid. It's a pittance - we caught their Craigslist ad for judges a few years back - but they do indeed get paid by the story.
Hrafnkel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hrafnkel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 11:39pm
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Scores Spreadsheet updated with this year's entrants.  Find it here.

For those who are new here - this spreadsheet does NOT have genre assignments - it has scores and results, round by round, for the last two years, and an analysis we did last year exploring whether there was any correlation between those who posted to the forums and engaged in critiques, and contest results.

As always, thanks for this!
2016 FFC, 6th Place Overall
2019 MFC, Ch1 G28 The Favor
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 12:24am
Originally posted by Hrafnkel Hrafnkel wrote:

For those who are new here - this spreadsheet does NOT have genre assignments - it has scores and results, round by round, for the last two years, and an analysis we did last year exploring whether there was any correlation between those who posted to the forums and engaged in critiques, and contest results.

stats junkie. strong need for organization.  I would do this stuff anyway - no reason my psychoses shouldn't benefit the group lol

Great to see you back btw.  I am still solidly in love with your canine fairy tale :)
ASharedNarrative View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ASharedNarrative Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 12:45am

Originally posted by Hrafnkel Hrafnkel wrote:

stats junkie. strong need for organization.  I would do this stuff anyway - no reason my psychoses shouldn't benefit the group lol

Great to see you back btw.  I am still solidly in love with your canine fairy tale :)

Would your ideal date be a baseball game, then?
2018 SSC
R1 G62 (Spy) - Ex Parte
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 1:26am
Originally posted by ASharedNarrative ASharedNarrative wrote:

Would your ideal date be a baseball game, then?

I am an NFL girl.  Baseball puts me to sleep - I just can't see the chess match the way I can with football or rugby. 

And the ideal date has a ton of variables, depending on who, where, and when ;)  A walk in the woods with my dogs that is a treat in the summer is a torment in January. lol  Fortunately, I am married to the world's single most awesome guy, ever, so I don't have think too much on that sort of thing. Star
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 1:33am
Originally posted by Zblugg Zblugg wrote:

Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

At $125K for the one contest it seems like they should be able to handle all of us in a timely manner. Big smile

If that theoretically makes sense, you have to take into consideration consistency in judging... I'm assuming the same judges cover one whole group, for that very reason. You COULD split the groups in different teams of judges, but you'd be changing judging criteria within a group - and that is against all principles of fairness...

HOWEVER, I figure they could clone the same group of judges enough times that we'd have our full results the week after submitting... Oooooohhhh...

The problem is that they have at least three judges reading every story, so you've got to triple the number of words. And the judges aren't "full time" judges, they don't get paid enough for this to be a main job, it's more likely just a bit of extra money on the side, so they can't read 10 hours straight... then they also have to give feedback, and rank 30 stories in each group their reviewing... so... yeah. It takes a while. Wink
FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
Lynne View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lynne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:37am
Wow Nixie! The scope of this data crunching is amazing! Lynne
rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:59am
Originally posted by Lynne Lynne wrote:

It really is isn't it - love it! Data shows up the quirky anomalies - like Heat 12 of last year's second round was clearly VERY high calibre as 4 out of the top 10 in the final (including the winner and runner up) came from that one heat.
R2 Rhyming Story The Dying of the Light(Sci-Fi)
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 11:08am
Originally posted by rossinny rossinny wrote:

Originally posted by Lynne Lynne wrote:

It really is isn't it - love it! Data shows up the quirky anomalies - like Heat 12 of last year's second round was clearly VERY high calibre as 4 out of the top 10 in the final (including the winner and runner up) came from that one heat.

There are several of us here - especially Meg & me - who love that kinda stuff. Between us, we tend to dig at the weirdest bits of trivia.... lol  Then we share, because we know the rest of you secretly want it, too.... LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234