NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Prompt: What did you get? How do you like it?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
AndrewShootsScores View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AndrewShootsScores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prompt: What did you get? How do you like it?
    Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 10:46am
Originally posted by jmkemp jmkemp wrote:

My first time doing this too, and also my first post here. With luck I've got it right. 

I was away at cub camp (I'm a cub scout leader) so the story was written in a sleep deprived daze up against the deadline. I noticed on re-reading that I'd managed to change one of the character's name's half way through the story! Not a main character, just one of the supporting cast. 

I was in Group 2, we had romance / a harbour / a bandage. I've never written romance before, and I don't read them either. No idea how horrible the story is going to be. 

"Down The Harbour"

Alice is the village midwife in Lower Harwood, in the heart of Britain. Playing cupid, things don't run smoothly in getting Dianne & Ed's date to work. 

James-

Aha! Finally, another Group 2-'er! I'm in the same boat as you... total newbie to this. Was also WAY outside my comfort zone writing a romance. But in the end, I landed with something that made me smile... so I consider that a success!
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:40am
Originally posted by jmkemp jmkemp wrote:

My first time doing this too, and also my first post here. With luck I've got it right. 

I was away at cub camp (I'm a cub scout leader) so the story was written in a sleep deprived daze up against the deadline. I noticed on re-reading that I'd managed to change one of the character's name's half way through the story! Not a main character, just one of the supporting cast. 

I was in Group 2, we had romance / a harbour / a bandage. I've never written romance before, and I don't read them either. No idea how horrible the story is going to be. 

"Down The Harbour"

Alice is the village midwife in Lower Harwood, in the heart of Britain. Playing cupid, things don't run smoothly in getting Dianne & Ed's date to work. 

you did fine. :)  do be sure to add that to the title/synopsis thread too!  

One of the great things about this contest is that it will force you out of your comfort zone. Writing what we always write isn't nearly the stretch of our skills that writing something we don't even read is.  You will walk away a better writer - even if you hate your romance and never do it again - because it forces you to focus on the basics. :) 

Welcome to FFC!
jmkemp View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jmkemp Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:37am

"Down The Harbour"

Edited by jmkemp - 19 Jul 2017 at 9:38am
--
James Kemp

Ch1, Grp75 'Sticky End'
vanwijk88 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vanwijk88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 7:28am
Originally posted by Venasque Venasque wrote:

I'm actually a little embarrassed that that story is going to be someone's first impression of me!

I had horror for the first round too and am a newbie, so I've had these exact same sentiments XD Hope I get a chance in round 2 to show that I'm not some twisted psyco :P 
FFC 2020 R2: 250 Beats per Minute (Thriller)

"I intend to live forever or die trying."
saratacey View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote saratacey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 6:23am
Enjoyed the blood drive/hot choc/comedy prompt. My first time entering. Glad I didn't get political satire though!

Edited by saratacey - 19 Jul 2017 at 6:24am
MegOverman View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MegOverman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 6:10am
Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

Originally posted by MattrickBT MattrickBT wrote:

I only use them ironically.

Why are you participating in these forums? To be unrelentingly contentious toward some very kind people? In multiple threads now you've had some sort of issue, and really seem to enjoy talking down to people. Have a glass of wine or something. We're all friends here. Beer

+1
Have a glass of wine and take it like a writer.

R1 - A Waste of Stars (Drama)
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 12:22am

Why are you participating in these forums? To be unrelentingly contentious toward some very kind people? In multiple threads now you've had some sort of issue, and really seem to enjoy talking down to people. Have a glass of wine or something. We're all friends here. Beer
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 11:46pm

Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

Who uses trigger warnings?

Well, I do, depending on the context. Some people find that certain words bring up painful memories and emotions. When I know these people, and I'm in a conversation with them (written or verbal), I will craft my words carefully because I respect those feelings and their honesty to tell me.

Being compassionate and empathetic with people seems like a good value to me, so I attempt to walk alongside them.

You're exactly right that any word can be a trigger, but that is not what I said.

You seem unusually pugnacious. We are likely not going to interact much in the future.

Best of luck to you.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

MattrickBT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

Well, I do, depending on the context. Some people find that certain words bring up painful memories and emotions. When I know these people, and I'm in a conversation with them (written or verbal), I will craft my words carefully because I respect those feelings and their honesty to tell me.

Being compassionate and empathetic with people seems like a good value to me, so I attempt to walk alongside them.

stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jul 2017 at 11:35pm

Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>