NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Taking a Challenge short script to feature length
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Taking a Challenge short script to feature length

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaHaBone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Taking a Challenge short script to feature length
    Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 10:21am
Just curious- has anyone been so inspired by their short script entry that they've expanded it into a feature length script?
R1:H44:Pressing the Flesh
R2:H3:Beef
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 11:42am
I'm intending to do so with my script The Phoenix Project from the Short Screenplay competition.

But I intend to do a lot of things!
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
MaHaBone View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaHaBone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by Tim G Tim G wrote:

I'm intending to do so with my script The Phoenix Project from the Short Screenplay competition.

But I intend to do a lot of things!

Yeah. Me too. :-/
R1:H44:Pressing the Flesh
R2:H3:Beef
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 5:54pm
I liked my first-round script from the Short Screenplay Comp, and have thought about it. But I really want to work on a TV pilot I've had in my head for a while now. Just can't get up the gumption.
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jun 2017 at 7:55pm
Originally posted by MaHaBone MaHaBone wrote:

Just curious- has anyone been so inspired by their short script entry that they've expanded it into a feature length script?

Ma ... I've never thought of taking an NYCMMM short to feature length ... though people have suggested such in the past ... I think it would be too hard to unpack a 12pp story arc and turn it into 105 three-act pages.  Maybe as a sequence, but not stretched out ...

Some have suggested I combine my Fantasyland screenplays and short story into a kind of anarchic Shrek-style film ...

I have, however, taken the 12pp prologue of a feature I have written and turned it in ... top score ... and the resolution of a novel and turned it into a short screenplay ... no score ... but I wouldn't do it often and only because I was pressed for time ...

angelus0186 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelus0186 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 4:45am
I've never progressed a short from here into a feature script (yet).

But I redrafted a script from the last Short Screenplay challenge and that's currently in pre-production to be made into a short film. We just finished casting, which is really exciting, and it's so strange (and rewarding) hearing the words come out of people's mouths that I wrote in a tight deadline over a weekend month's previously.
Screenwriting:

Challenge 4 (Final):
Sci Fi/Crater/Pepper Spray

The Journey Home:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByUVnwL8XUFvX2N5Vmc2WVJWbW8
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jun 2017 at 1:00pm
I haven't done it to a Challenge script--first time here--but I've adapted my own short stories to both short and feature-length scripts.

Things I've noticed: expansion can (and should) happen in two ways.

1) Obviously you can add new material. New characters, subplots, settings, et al. More obstacles to over come, more chances for conflict, more eye-searing visuals.

2) You can explore the material already in place (or heavily implied). This can mean lingering in the brief, almost telegraphic moments short scripts require, or providing more character interactions to highlight relationships, or taking a trope you employed for brevity and reshaping it to your story's needs.

You pretty much need to do both, I think. The only question is the ratio of 1 to 2.
Anthonypittore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthonypittore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 7:41am
I actually dug my characters so much I've been considering incorporating them into a new script. . . basically, I would take them and build a world of "urban superheroes" based around Castille, my graffiti-artist hero. 
- Anthony

SWC 2024:

R1 - Fairytale of New York
(G59 - Fairy Tale / Garbage Man / New Year's Eve)
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:22am
Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

I liked my first-round script from the Short Screenplay Comp, and have thought about it. But I really want to work on a TV pilot I've had in my head for a while now. Just can't get up the gumption.

I would encourage you to do this. You are wonderfully imaginative.

If I can do anything to help or support you in this, just let me know. I can be the careful, supportive beta reader or the rough Marine drill sergeant.

Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Post Reply Post Reply