NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Feedback Thread!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Adite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 3:02am
Originally posted by rossinny rossinny wrote:

One of my judge's feedback (Judge 1733 below) was for the wrong screenplay.... I have written to NYC but no reply yet.

Shocked

Did you hear from them?
rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 3:35am
Originally posted by Adite Adite wrote:

One of my judge's feedback (Judge 1733 below) was for the wrong screenplay.... I have written to NYC but no reply yet.

Shocked

Did you hear from them?

Yes indeed. Apparently because there were two screenplays titled "Best Served Cold" one of the judge's feedback got mixed up. They said that the judge in question awarded us both the same score so it didn't affect placement...

I'll post the correct feedback on my thread just for completion's sake.
R2 Rhyming Story The Dying of the Light(Sci-Fi)
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 6:42am

ShockedDid you hear from them?
Yes indeed. Apparently because there were two screenplays titled "Best Served Cold" one of the judge's feedback got mixed up. They said that the judge in question awarded us both the same score so it didn't affect placement...

Comrades ...

I think a lot of the feedback is "tick and flick" like grading term papers ... which I do ... you have a set series of comments and sometimes it's cut and paste. 

I've had some feedback ... not in the last two years ... that was absolutely bewildering ... and I've also had repeated comments ...

What really gets up my arse is when the judge tries to "rewrite" your story/screenplay ... In my R1 piece, LOX HASHSLINGER, one of the judges suggested I should have had a female candidate!  That's just beyond the pale ... and it wasn't the first time a judge has said "If I was you I would have done this ..."  FUQ YOU!  Grade me down, but don't fiddle with my baby! 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again ... and again ... and again ... Don't write what you think the judges want to hear/read/see ... write for yourself to the best of your ability! 

Here endeth the lesson ... Scarlet Angry

Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 7:01am
Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Comrades ...

I think a lot of the feedback is "tick and flick" like grading term papers ... which I do ... you have a set series of comments and sometimes it's cut and paste. 

I've had some feedback ... not in the last two years ... that was absolutely bewildering ... and I've also had repeated comments ...

What really gets up my arse is when the judge tries to "rewrite" your story/screenplay ... In my R1 piece, LOX HASHSLINGER, one of the judges suggested I should have had a female candidate!  That's just beyond the pale ... and it wasn't the first time a judge has said "If I was you I would have done this ..."  FUQ YOU!  Grade me down, but don't fiddle with my baby! 

I've said it before, and I'll say it again ... and again ... and again ... Don't write what you think the judges want to hear/read/see ... write for yourself to the best of your ability! 

Yeah but what do you really think? :)

also... hear hear!
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2017 at 7:32am
Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

ShockedDid you hear from them?

Comrades ...

Yeah I hear you - and I think the 'tick and flick' thing is probably particularly true in the first round with the sheer numbers...

That written, as a newbie I find the judge's comments interesting so, valid or not, I was keen to at least have the ones that were actually relevant to my screenplay...

R2 Rhyming Story The Dying of the Light(Sci-Fi)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123