NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Getting Revved Up for Flash Fiction!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ornery Angel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jun 2017 at 10:53pm
I'm in...yay!
Stephaleph22 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Stephaleph22 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 6:21pm
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Course you are steph,  You wouldn't miss the chance to come hang with us!!  Come play!!  Get awesome crits that will make your writing better so that you can sell stories to pay for next year's entry fee :)

Ha! Such Faith! I shall begin a church and fill it with Nixies XD

Edited by Stephaleph22 - 29 Jun 2017 at 6:22pm
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 7:10pm
Originally posted by Stephaleph22 Stephaleph22 wrote:

Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

Course you are steph,  You wouldn't miss the chance to come hang with us!!  Come play!!  Get awesome crits that will make your writing better so that you can sell stories to pay for next year's entry fee :)

Ha! Such Faith! I shall begin a church and fill it with Nixies XD

hmm....  My Nixie's origins are, partially, in the Rolemaster RPG.  According to them, nixies don't really believe in deities - they have no clerics at all, in fact - because, y'know gods are immortal (so are nixies) and they do stuff people don't understand (nixies have magic too).  

Apparently, they just think people are mistaken in the whole concept - because either there are no gods, just magical being you don't understand, or 'magical + immortal beings are gods, and therefore nixies re gods" - and the nixies are not impressed. lol

Perhaps 'optimism' rather than 'faith'...? In which case, ofc, you might need Olaf or Happy (of the 7 dwarfs) rather than a cleric....  Certainly seems to suit me... 
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 8:59pm
Glad to see so many old and new faces!
I've participated in both (prefer the FF), and the biggest challenge for me is paring everything down to the barest of essentials - the perfect word that can take the place of five, the precise detail that saves a paragraph of description, and (my favorite) character expressed through dialogue.
I'll admit it right up front, I'm not a lean, spare writer; through these contests I've definitely grown. 
Good luck, everyone!
Sabita9 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sabita9 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2017 at 9:09pm
Hi,
I just signed up for the Flash fiction Contest! EXCITED!
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:05am
Originally posted by Lookit There Lookit There wrote:

Glad to see so many old and new faces!

I'll admit it right up front, I'm not a lean, spare writer; through these contests I've definitely grown. 
Good luck, everyone!

That was why I came here in the first place - to force myself to 'do it with fewer words."  My writing has surely improved thanks to the folks I have found here!
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jun 2017 at 12:14am
Going to be fun to see how many have signed up this time.  The SSC was a monster this last time, lol.
WordGirl1229 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WordGirl1229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 12:57pm
I'm far from a veteran, having competed in one FF and one SS competition, but personally I enjoyed the flash fiction process more. That could change as I do more of these, but I liked the construct of a thousand-word limit. It was like a very clear direction that I could focus on one scene, really, given the story I wanted to tell. I like that challenge of having to think it out, put the bones together, and then put the skin on it, so to speak. Smile

Definitely looking forward to this FF challenge!
MF Round 1: Feeding My Faith
Trond24 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Trond24 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jul 2017 at 5:30pm
I'm in again, FF for the 2nd year.

One thing I'll mention that doesn't seem to have been touched on yet: there seems to be more feedback here in the forums on flash than there is for the shorts. Obviously with fewer words, people seem to be more willing to read and give feedback.

Forum activity really makes the FF worth it for me. I made it to the 3rd challenge last year and I received (and gave) my entry fee's worth in reviews. Honestly, you probably get better criticism in the forums than you do from the judges. But it's only there if you post your story and participate!

There's also a novel's worth of reviewing advice - but it boils down to 1) be nice and 2) be helpful. Say a couple nice things then constructively add to what could help the story.

Nice to see a bunch of old faces ... errr... screen-names posting here already. :-)

Regards,
Trond
"Every time I think I've seen it all, a person comes along and objects to the mistreatment of rubber chickens."
WordGirl1229 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote WordGirl1229 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jul 2017 at 10:05pm
Where are the practice prompts found? Thanks!
MF Round 1: Feeding My Faith
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 12>