NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What counts as an 'undertaker'

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote readingrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 1:28pm
From what I've observed, creative interpretations are welcome (assuming the story is also well-written). I don't think the story would be disqualified if your undertaker were not a literal undertaker. After the 30th story or so, I'm sure the judges are tired of reading about the funeral biz at dawn and would give anything to read about the WWF champ The Undertaker sipping a tequila sunrise or something. ;) 
DocDrummer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocDrummer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 1:34pm
I would say I definitely used some creative license in my interpretation of the character Undertaker. I am hoping it pays off.

And it's not a wrestler! Although that thought did cross my mind when I was brainstorming.
DocDrummer
My Story Thread:
R3 Elia
Thanks for reading!
readingrid View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote readingrid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 1:41pm
(I should've added: not that literal interpretations are NOT rewarded or can't be just as creative [or more so] than some wild reading of the prompt! It's really all in how it's written, isn't it?)

patsy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 7:41pm
Originally posted by BlackGate BlackGate wrote:

Originally posted by patsy patsy wrote:

From good old Merriam-Webster:

Definition of undertaker

1. 1:  one who undertakes :  one who takes the risk and management of business :  entrepreneur

2. 2:  one whose business is to prepare the dead for burial and to arrange and manage funerals

3. 3:  an Englishman taking over forfeited lands in Ireland in the 16th and 17th centuries

Employing definitions 1 and 3 would have taken some bravery! Not sure the judges would have been tuned in to those.

BG

I ALMOST tried 3 just for the heck of it!Big smile

Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 8:14pm

Wow, Patz and BG ... taking a risk ... pushing the envelope ... pissing against the wind ... I got mortician once ... should I have considered a bricklayer?  Good Luck!

shevitee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shevitee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2017 at 6:01pm

Originally posted by BlackGate BlackGate wrote:

From good old Merriam-Webster:

Definition of undertaker

1. 1:  one who undertakes :  one who takes the risk and management of business :  entrepreneur

2. 2:  one whose business is to prepare the dead for burial and to arrange and manage funerals

3. 3:  an Englishman taking over forfeited lands in Ireland in the 16th and 17th centuries

Employing definitions 1 and 3 would have taken some bravery! Not sure the judges would have been tuned in to those.

BG

I ALMOST tried 3 just for the heck of it!Big smile

Same! Until I realised it would take more the 24 hours to achieve a good enough understanding of 16th century Irish political history to be able to write a decent story. Hahaha.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12