NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

24 hours - eek?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fragmentedelle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 8:34pm
As far as naming files go, my email says: "The name of the file must be the title of your story. For example, if the title of your Short Story was “Table Tennis”, then the name of your Short Story must be saved as “Table Tennis.doc” or “Table Tennis.txt”. You no longer need to include the heat number in the file name as in previous challenges"

I'm so glad I'm not the only one unable to pin down a genre. Fairly sure that makes us writers of literary fiction, right?
BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 9:04pm
2am in the UK and my 1493 word fantasy/ghost story is in! Hope you're all doing well.

BG

Edited by BlackGate - 06 May 2017 at 9:05pm
Micro 250 R1 - The Iron Harvest
Micro 250 R2 - The Phantom
Tricksie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricksie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 9:22pm
Submitted! 

Does anyone know: For the final round, do only three judges read each story? Or are there more judges, since there are fewer stories? I would kind of hope that more judges are involved, since all the stories are likely to be quite solid at this point and the reading is always subjective. 

Anyone know?

Good luck to those still writing! 
awayatpost View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awayatpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 10:09pm
Whew - submitted!

Did anyone else struggle with the "sunrise" subject? I mean, I've got a sunrise IN there, and it carries plot weight, but it's really hard to write a story ABOUT a sunrise. Hope I don't get disqualified.

Also, my story wanted to be about 4,000 words. I feel like I've done more deleting than writing.

Good luck, everyone!
BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 10:12pm
The tricky thing about a sunrise is that it doesn't last very long! Setting a whole tale during it is a bit unrealistic.

I've opted for a task that must be done before sunrise, and dawn is the end point of the tale. That feels pretty sunrise-centred to me....

Good luck!

BG
BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 10:13pm
Originally posted by awayatpost awayatpost wrote:

Also, my story wanted to be about 4,000 words.

Ouch - I had a hard enough time cutting 150 words....
awayatpost View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awayatpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by BlackGate BlackGate wrote:

I've opted for a task that must be done before sunrise, and dawn is the end point of the tale. That feels pretty sunrise-centred to me....

Ha -- me too! I strongly suspect that the judges are going to get 80 stories with "light" in the title and that are some sort of quest that must be completed by sunrise.

Their fault, for those prompts! Smile
bethgoeswriting View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bethgoeswriting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 10:20pm
It's either that or zombies and/or vampires.
roccapia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roccapia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 10:27pm
I'm so worried that the judges won't think my "sunrise" paragraphs are integral enough to the plot, and will boot me out of this competition like last night's garbage. On the other hand, I thought my entry in Round 2 just skittered on the edge of sci fi, but it got 3rd in its heat. So what do I know.

Anyway, it's been submitted. Now to substitute coffee for a huge glass of wine.
roccapia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roccapia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 10:30pm
I wasn't sure what genre mine was, so I looked up a list on Wikipedia (the source of all knowledge :P) I went with "Realistic Fiction". Never heard of that one before, but that seemed to be the closest to what I wrote.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>