NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

24 hours - eek?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricksie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 24 hours - eek?
    Posted: 05 May 2017 at 10:41pm
What's your game plan, round 3-ers? 

I took a nap. I'm going to stay up and see the prompt, brainstorm until I have an idea, possibly start writing. Wake up and get a rough draft done before I have another commitment 10-2 tomorrow (ack). Then edit when I get home. 

Those are my thoughts. What about you? I haven't done round 3 before, so if anyone has Words of Wisdom, I'm sure we'd all love to hear them!!
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:01pm
I've never made it this far, either.Shocked
I've stocked up with caffeine and alcohol, and hope to get something started tonight (prompts hit 9:00 pm for me). I'll write until I hit the wall of confusion, then pick it up when I wake up in the morning. My goal is to get my story to my betas around 10 or 11 tomorrow morning, possibly take a nap, then revise and edit when my betas get through with it.
We've got an hour to go! Good luck everyone!

Edited by LyndaD - 05 May 2017 at 11:01pm
Imaginative Insanity View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imaginative Insanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:48pm
As someone who usually tinkers with novels, who, to boot, has been slowly chipping away at the same series for 6 1/2 years (and counting), 1500 words in 24 hours certainly does seem daunting. Wacko

Also, I never ended up getting my round 2 feedback, which has me a bit flustered and stressed as well.

I tried to come up with a game plan, but I feel like I'm going to throw it out the window in precisely 12 minutes.

Currently conjuring up the rain clouds and electric currents in my mind. Come on, brain! Get ready to storm!

Best of luck to everyone!
FFC 2017:
Ch1: Makeshift (Fantasy)
Tricksie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricksie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 May 2017 at 11:53pm
I can't believe you didn't get your feedback?? Did you already contact them? (I'm assuming you've checked spam and trash and any other crazy place your feedback would go...and I think it goes to whatever email address you used to sign up for that submission system, even if that's not your primary email for the contest. I'm not sure of that, though--and presumably you received feedback from round one!) I hope you do get it. 

But just remember! Your story was good enough to get through, so it was really good! You don't need the feedback to do well in this round. :) 
vkmartin View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vkmartin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 3:09am
Just saw the prompt a few hours late due to watching (then falling asleep) during the hockey game. The 24 hour thing is a bit less daunting than it once was, because initially I had plans for a good portion of Saturday but those fell through earlier in the week, so now I should have more time.

So right now my biggest worry is coming up with a solid concept, particularly since I've had trouble before the prompt was too broad, but what was when I was stuck with drama as the genre, rather than being able to pick what I wanted to write.
bethgoeswriting View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bethgoeswriting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 3:14am
This is the one and only time I've been grateful for my experience at a newspaper. 1,500 words in 24 hours doesn't daunt me (I can churn out sh*t copy in my sleep) but plot? style? characterization? I'm f**ked. ha.
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 2:46pm
It's in the hands of my betas, now. Time to see what's going on in the real world.
Laura View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 3:09pm
I've got a draft but no title or synopsis. I hate synopsising (that a word?) at the best of times. Very tempted to just stick a random quote in and hope for the best!
Imaginative Insanity View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imaginative Insanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 3:15pm
Just hit 1K. Thriving on a steady diet of caffeine and sugar. :D

I guess it's going about as well as can be expected, considering I expected to still be panicking at this point.
FFC 2017:
Ch1: Makeshift (Fantasy)
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by Laura Laura wrote:

I've got a draft but no title or synopsis. I hate synopsising (that a word?) at the best of times. Very tempted to just stick a random quote in and hope for the best!

Synopsising is my least favorite part, too. Sometimes I don't pin it down until minutes before submitting.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>