NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keep plugging away!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keep plugging away!
    Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 6:57pm
Just wanted to post to encourage everyone to keep plugging away at the script. It's all going to click, and you'll get something done by the time we're done here.

Don't get discouraged. Breathing involves inhaling and exhaling -- you can't just do one and not the other. Breath. Think. Plot. Evaluate.

And have fun!

When we're done, we'll have 1141 new, never-before-seen 12-page scripts. You'll be part of that.

Good luck to everyone! Let us know how we can help if you get stuck.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

ABC View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 7:33pm
I didn' t do the screenwriting, but that was encouraging to me anyway :-) Good luck!
JSGestalt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JSGestalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 8:13pm
Anyone else coming up short of the 12 page goal? I've never written a script before so the story I came up with was a little on the short side. Around 7 - 8 pages.
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 9:06pm
Originally posted by JSGestalt JSGestalt wrote:

Anyone else coming up short of the 12 page goal? I've never written a script before so the story I came up with was a little on the short side. Around 7 - 8 pages.

IMO 8 pages is a bit short. Perhaps you need to deepen a conflict? Maybe you can throw in just one more character to change a relationship? What if you have a mistake in the goal of the protagonist where she falsely thinks she's done, but it is a wrong turning?

JSGestalt View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote JSGestalt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2017 at 9:27pm
My betas were confused over the major plot point so I went back and added a dialogue section that furthers the reveal and a little bit before hand to deepen the relationship between MCs.

Edited by JSGestalt - 23 Apr 2017 at 9:28pm
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2017 at 7:48am
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

Just wanted to post to encourage everyone to keep plugging away at the script. It's all going to click, and you'll get something done by the time we're done here.

Don't get discouraged. Breathing involves inhaling and exhaling -- you can't just do one and not the other. Breath. Think. Plot. Evaluate.

And have fun!

When we're done, we'll have 1141 new, never-before-seen 12-page scripts. You'll be part of that.

Good luck to everyone! Let us know how we can help if you get stuck.

Thanks, Stephen! I am having a blast with this.

lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
Anthonypittore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthonypittore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 9:30am
Originally posted by JSGestalt JSGestalt wrote:

I'd beef something up. I wish I could be under on draft one. I'm usually in the 14-16 pg mark and have to cut down.
- Anthony

SWC 2024:

R1 - Fairytale of New York
(G59 - Fairy Tale / Garbage Man / New Year's Eve)
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Apr 2017 at 10:29am
I'm at 12.5 pages. Well, 12 pages and 8 lines on the next page.

Something has to be cut, but it's going to leave a hole.

I've gone through and killed all the orphans (lines with just one word on them from the previous line).

I've cut the scene action elements severely.

I've already axed a minor character.

Yikes.

angelus0186 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote angelus0186 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 10:38am
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

I'm at 12.5 pages. Well, 12 pages and 8 lines on the next page.

Something has to be cut, but it's going to leave a hole.

I've gone through and killed all the orphans (lines with just one word on them from the previous line).

I've cut the scene action elements severely.

I've already axed a minor character.

Yikes.

You'll probably find two lines of dialogue from two different characters will pretty much clear up your problem due to how much room they take.
Is there a situation where two characters say something that could easily be said by one?
Or is there a situation where a character replies but really doesn't need to, almost like a bridge between character lines?
I always find something like the above and end up cutting it if necessary. 
Screenwriting:

Challenge 4 (Final):
Sci Fi/Crater/Pepper Spray

The Journey Home:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0ByUVnwL8XUFvX2N5Vmc2WVJWbW8
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 12:08pm
Great advice! I've done that and now have a script that is just about 11.5 pages (that is, there is a page 12 but it's not full).

I cut some useless dialog, tightened up other dialog, changed some weak verb phrases to a strong verb, and it looks better.

DOH! moment for me: script writing is both a standard, defined methodology AND a creative output that is individualized by each writer. There are right ways to write things, but endless ways to say things.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>