NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Keep plugging away!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MaHaBone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 2:36pm
Having the same issues. Got two scripts now about 7 pages each. 
R1:H44:Pressing the Flesh
R2:H3:Beef
amariesalter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amariesalter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 8:19pm
Joining the right people- I'm all fuzzy in the brain today and posted in the wrong forum. Anyway, hope everyone's writing is going well! I've done some planning but work has been 16 hour days all week, of course. I haven't even started. Looks like It'll be an all nighter friday with editing Saturday to cleanup whatever nonsense I create during that time.
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 10:16pm
It's all good. Part of the fun is all the work to get something on paper under a deadline.

Well, maybe not fun...
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

KittNiss View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KittNiss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2017 at 11:26pm
I've got one complete at just under 12 pages, and another at 6.5 pages. Most of my beta readers are busy or something. Just looking forward to sending in something/anything. 

SSC R1Heat42 Magpie's Child
FFCh1 Gr16 There's no going back R2 Death,DutyFree
turtle7313 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turtle7313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2017 at 1:48pm
Ive got an outline. Thats about it. And a busy busy week. I'm really hoping that I'll be able to turn something in. I've never had to bow out before, but this time it's really looking like a real possibility. Hoping I get a massive 5th wind and am able to get something down on paper. Fingers crossed!
FFC CH1 GR 38 - A Broken Family - http://bit.ly/2ufVHFu
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 12:18am
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

Great advice! I've done that and now have a script that is just about 11.5 pages (that is, there is a page 12 but it's not full).

I cut some useless dialog, tightened up other dialog, changed some weak verb phrases to a strong verb, and it looks better.

DOH! moment for me: script writing is both a standard, defined methodology AND a creative output that is individualized by each writer. There are right ways to write things, but endless ways to say things.

There are right ways to write things, but endless ways to say things. 

Stephen, you hit the nail on the head.

I finally stopped noodling and submitted tonight. First screenplay ever. 

Best of luck to everyone!
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
amariesalter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote amariesalter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 12:50am
Originally posted by turtle7313 turtle7313 wrote:

Ive got an outline. Thats about it. And a busy busy week. I'm really hoping that I'll be able to turn something in. I've never had to bow out before, but this time it's really looking like a real possibility. Hoping I get a massive 5th wind and am able to get something down on paper. Fingers crossed!

You can do it! I'm totally there with you- busy week and nothing. I got down 6 pages in the past two hours and I'm gonna try to lock in 2 more before bed. I have a standup gig tomorrow night so I have to be done by 6ish tomorrow. I'm probably being overly optimistic but I think I might get something submitted in the end.
MaHaBone View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MaHaBone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 9:43am
If you got an outline, you're 90% of the way there!  Hard part is over!  
Best of luck!
R1:H44:Pressing the Flesh
R2:H3:Beef
kritty3311 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kritty3311 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 9:13pm
I have 8 pages. my script isn't dialogue heavy which I expect is the reason. not a big fan of it but i have it
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2017 at 9:19pm
Originally posted by kritty3311 kritty3311 wrote:

I have 8 pages. my script isn't dialogue heavy which I expect is the reason. not a big fan of it but i have it

Well, you are 8 pages further along. If you think it's complete and ready to go - send it in! you have about 2 1/2 hours to revise it and send it in again--they take the last submitted version.

Good luck with the judges!
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>