NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Just for fun?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fistofcurry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 1:36pm
Count me in, though I should probably deal with real life issues first.
De Chelonian Mobile View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote De Chelonian Mobile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by aerolissa aerolissa wrote:

Originally posted by De Chelonian Mobile De Chelonian Mobile wrote:

I wold love to participate, but I think the genres that I fear most might differ from the norm. I have a difficult time writing anything that doesn't, or can't have comedic elements.
The genres I am uncomfortable with in order of most to least are:

Horror
Romance (crossing genres with Rom and Com just makes the already specific genre of RomCom.)
Drama (Same problem as above)
Mystery
Spy
Thriller
Suspense
Action / Adventure

Genres in my comfort zone would be:

Comedy
RomCom
Political Satire
Sci-Fi
Fantasy
Crime Caper
Fairytale
Ghost Story
Historical Fiction

Who am I kidding? I don't really know exactly what my comfort zone is and would honestly be alright with forcing myself to write any of the ones you mentioned, as well. I just need experience! Smile

That's why writing in new genres is such a fantastic exercise. I never would have thought "I want to write RomCom", but after getting a RomCom prompt in another contest, now it is my preferred genre. Stretching the muscles is a great thing to do.

Edited by De Chelonian Mobile - 28 Mar 2017 at 1:41pm
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 1:41pm
A couple of us who did not move forward decided to "write anyway" this weekend (word count, prompts and all - with a loose deadline for anyone who needed) and we randomly picked a heat number. We could theoretically do the same here - from either last year's Flash or Short Story contests.  This way it's a totally random and even playing field.  And of course if someone picks a genre they could write in their sleep, we could keep the same prompts but just offer that person a "scarier" assignment...  

I remember someone on the forums at one point also mention a "random prompt generator" somewhere online or via an app.

lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
fistofcurry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fistofcurry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 4:32pm
Looking at the list of genres I can't see anything I think I would struggle with. I can see plenty of things I don't write often, or haven't been asked to write in this contest. I could handle political satire but it sounds emotionally exhausting. I've never tried to write anything romantic (that I would share). I'm a big fan of fantasy and sci-fi but haven't written much of them either. Horror and ghost story are also styles I haven't been called upon to try either.

I say we should randomly select prompts from round 1 or 2. Simply put them into a list in google sheets and randomly generate a number next to each participant's name.
fistofcurry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fistofcurry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 4:48pm
Another possibility would be to skip the format of the challenges posted here in favor of a different prompt. We could trust people participating to work in a genre they do not feel comfortable with. Instead of providing specifics like a character and an object, we could do something like the first line challenge instead, where everyone must start their sentence with the same first line.
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 8:56pm
Originally posted by fistofcurry fistofcurry wrote:

Another possibility would be to skip the format of the challenges posted here in favor of a different prompt. We could trust people participating to work in a genre they do not feel comfortable with. Instead of providing specifics like a character and an object, we could do something like the first line challenge instead, where everyone must start their sentence with the same first line.

This is my favorite method for writing exercises. In my old writing group, we would all show up, create on-the-spot a first line, then everyone would have to pick someone else's first line and go with it. I had some hilarious stuff. One of my short pieces turned into my novel, all based on the very first line: The car ran through the STOP sign as if it wasn't there. Why would a car run a STOP sign? Who is watching? What does (s)he think? And that led to an entire novel (coming-of-age) where we must figure out for ourselves what "right" and "wrong" mean, and how we navigate a world where right and wrong are flexible concepts.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 4:53pm
I really like the idea of giving certain parameters (same first sentence, for example) and then letting writers choose their own genres. The goal is to choose a genre we want to experiment with as writers! But it would definitely be cool to have our stories connected in some way.

We have several options!

1. We could all start with the same sentence.
2. We could all incorporate the same character.
3. We could all end with the same sentence.
4. We could all include the same location.

Just some ideas!

#amrevising
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:34pm
Originally posted by steph9289 steph9289 wrote:

I really like the idea of giving certain parameters (same first sentence, for example) and then letting writers choose their own genres. The goal is to choose a genre we want to experiment with as writers! But it would definitely be cool to have our stories connected in some way.

We have several options!

1. We could all start with the same sentence.
2. We could all incorporate the same character.
3. We could all end with the same sentence.
4. We could all include the same location.

Just some ideas!

Whatever the group decides is fine by me!  :)  Look forward to it.
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12