NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ALL the emotions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SakuraHime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: ALL the emotions
    Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 2:37am
How is everyone feeling? I really liked my Rd 1 piece and I'm just not feeling great about this one. My normal beta readers all bailed and I just struggled to find a unique and interesting plot for my prompts. I'm a mess; I just feel like I let myself down after making it through (and just barely, coming in fifth in my Rd 1 heat).
2019 FFC R1 Who Needs a Wall? (Gr: 35 – PoliSat/A Garbage Dump/A Grill)
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 3:01am
I'm in a similar situation. I hated my story until after my one beta (another one flaked, and my third doesn't do horror ) suggested some revisions and gave me some positive feedback.
Now I just actively dislike it.
SakuraHime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SakuraHime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 3:07am
An improvement! That's a start! Lol
2019 FFC R1 Who Needs a Wall? (Gr: 35 – PoliSat/A Garbage Dump/A Grill)
AllisonM View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllisonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 3:11am
Really good, actually.

Spent *hours* on Friday trying to force out a story for my prompt (ghost story/a graphic designer/a homework assignment) and was hating almost everything I was writing. Had my mom read what I had written at that point and she couldn't even muster any classic mom enthusiasm, so I knew it was a mess. ("Did you like it? At all?" "Uh. Well. Um. I... so, why did you name the main character 'Clyde?'") :|

Scrapped it, went out for coffee, figured out what I was going to do, came back and wrote the entire thing in two hours, then took a victory dance lap around the house (while ignoring the stink eye my boyfriend was giving me for disrupting his quiet time).

In sum: the lowest of the lows, then the highest of the highs. Woo.
bethgoeswriting View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bethgoeswriting Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 3:26am
Hey fellow heat 4 writer! Alison, wanna trade stories? I'm curious :)))
AMOSD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AMOSD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 3:31am
I scored my least favourite genre (romantic comedy) and managed to write something that is possibly less funny than a eulogy. My beta reader described it as tawdry and sad and I'm not sure I managed to improve things from there. I'm feeling like I've wasted a place that should've gone to someone more flexible in their writing.
Sarah88 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote Sarah88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 5:24am
Just because you didn't nail a particular genre the very first time you tried it, doesn't mean you're not a flexible writer! That's like saying that I'm not a flexible athlete because I can't play water polo: of course I can't, I've never tried and I don't know the rules. But if I made the effort to learn and practise, I'd get better :)
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 7:30am
I'm really disappointed this round, myself. I literally spent the entire day on Friday in denial about my genre. This is my fourth ghost story in 5 prompts and I am so ridiculously burned out on the genre. (One I never write unless assigned) I've done the helpful ghost. I've done the scary ghost. I've done the possession thing. I really struggled to find something different.

Then I had an idea that I could work with. Lunchtime yesterday I realized that I really needed 4k words to tell it properly. I felt committed and shoehorned it into 1998. This morning I hate myself for not scrapping and doing something else... I'll be shocked beyond words if I move forward. But on the bright side, really looking forward to reading other folks stuff - it's my favorite part of the competition. 

AllyM84 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllyM84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 8:48am
I think everyone has pretty much summed up my feelings. 

I was excited about Fantasy at first. Love reading it, watching it, the longest thing I've ever written was Fantasy, etc. But that was a novel. With an entire world built in. 

Got nervous when I realized how hard it was going to be to fit it in 2,000 words. Even more nervous when I realized how it hard it would be to come up with something original. 

Had a draft. Scrapped it. New idea. Draft. No ending. Changed POV from 3rd to first....that helped. No ending till about 7:30 last night. Now I actually kind of like it and think I could turn it into some serial short stories. The writing could definitely be improved though and I have no clue what the judges will think. So, even if they don't like it, I have a potential project. 

Ugh. Emotional Roller Coaster. 
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 9:41am
And the best bit... If you do make it through... then next time you get to squeeze that entire emotional sequence into 24-hours. Wink
FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 7>