NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ALL the emotions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:35am
Originally posted by Betty Netch Betty Netch wrote:

I caught a pretty bad mistake in one of my paragraphs after the fact and am now having dreams about my story not even being accepted for judging. Oh, subconscious, you menace. I am pretty sure they will take it, but after that who knows where the slip-up will leave me.

Most of the judges have been pretty forgiving of the occasional typo or grammatical slip. If your story was riddled with problems, then they'd mark down for that, but they know that we're writing these things on a tight deadline and some mistakes are going to slip through.

So... I wouldn't worry about it. I had a typo in my final sentence last round -- not exactly the last impression I wanted to leave them with... but it was all okay. Wink
FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
Betty Netch View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betty Netch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:12am
Originally posted by r.arora r.arora wrote:

I can't stop thinking about ways to improve my story. Fantasy was out of my comfort zone but I really like the world I created. So much that I feel obligated to go back, revisit passages I know could be improved and keep going with it. So I guess that's a plus, right? The downside is, now that I can't stop thinking of ways to improve it, I don't really want anyone else to see it in its current state.

If it needs improving, that is exactly why you should show it around for feedback. :)
BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:15am
Originally posted by Betty Netch Betty Netch wrote:

If it needs improving, that is exactly why you should show it around for feedback. :)

Exactly this. The story, even if it doesn't go through, can still evolve into something you love and perhaps publish. The forum is an amazing opportunity to get feedback on it that you wouldn't otherwise get. Let the daylight in is my advice, just like helping a plant grow.

Always remember that your story is not you. Criticism of one work is never criticism of you as a writer.

BG

Edited by BlackGate - 29 Mar 2017 at 9:17am
Micro 250 R1 - The Iron Harvest
Micro 250 R2 - The Phantom
Betty Netch View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Betty Netch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:18am
Though I do have to say, my biggest regret was letting my earnest and well meaning but inexperienced family have a go at editing. This was an incredibly stressful experience. I do not reccomend it.

Edited by Betty Netch - 29 Mar 2017 at 9:19am
patsy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:20am
Originally posted by SakuraHime SakuraHime wrote:

Is anyone else embarrassed to post your story to the forums this round (once we're allowed to do so)? I still will, I think, but I'm not sure I'm looking forward to having all of you other fabulous writers thinking I'm a hack! (I'm *mostly* kidding)

Never be embarrassed about posting your story!  Everyone is here to become a better writer, and posting and giving reviews on other writer's stories is one certain way to accomplish that. Smile
AllyM84 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AllyM84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:10pm
For those worried and embarrassed and hating their stories; I've been there. I don't think I've EVER liked what I wrote right after I wrote it. I have always posted on the forums worried about what people would think. But 1) everyone here is really nice and I've only ever seen constructive criticism and positivity! 2) Every time I've gone back to read a few months later...it's never as bad as I thought it was. 

So, don't worry. It will all be ok Smile
DocDrummer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DocDrummer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:29pm
So I spent most of last week and the entire weekend terribly ill. I'm on a crap ton of meds and I was near comatose most of the time. Three days later and I'm still fighting this.   

I got Heat 3. I like my concept and plot line but I did not execute it well at all. My story just kinda ends without making a point because I just ran out of time. I struggled to just think clearly. I'm sure it reads like something that should be scrawled in crayon. I think the judges would like it better if I turned it in that way (damn formatting rules!) but alas!

I haven't read it since I submitted it because I don't want to cry.

All things considered I did the best I could, but I know it's not my best work at all.

I'm rambling. Forgive me. I'm still sick.

Can I just say whoever puts these prompts together is evil? Pointy tail and pitchfork evil!
DocDrummer
My Story Thread:
R3 Elia
Thanks for reading!
AllyM84 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllyM84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:32pm
Also, shouldn't we be getting those confirmation emails ANY MINUTE NOW!?!
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by AllyM84 AllyM84 wrote:

Also, shouldn't we be getting those confirmation emails ANY MINUTE NOW!?!

Right?! I really want to post my story!
#amrevising
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by DocDrummer DocDrummer wrote:

So I spent most of last week and the entire weekend terribly ill. I'm on a crap ton of meds and I was near comatose most of the time. Three days later and I'm still fighting this.   

I got Heat 3. I like my concept and plot line but I did not execute it well at all. My story just kinda ends without making a point because I just ran out of time. I struggled to just think clearly. I'm sure it reads like something that should be scrawled in crayon. I think the judges would like it better if I turned it in that way (damn formatting rules!) but alas!

I haven't read it since I submitted it because I don't want to cry.

All things considered I did the best I could, but I know it's not my best work at all.

I'm rambling. Forgive me. I'm still sick.

Can I just say whoever puts these prompts together is evil? Pointy tail and pitchfork evil!

I am truly sorry you were sick, but I'm happy that you were able to turn something in. DONE! is a great thing to say.

Yeah, the prompts...

Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>