NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

ALL the emotions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AllyM84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 9:53am
Originally posted by plkphoto plkphoto wrote:

And the best bit... If you do make it through... then next time you get to squeeze that entire emotional sequence into 24-hours. Wink

I can't even think about that right now!
seawhere View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote seawhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 10:34am
All the things everyone has said. Favorite genre but I couldn't make an original or interesting plot from the prompt. Scrapped first idea, started fresh on Sat morning. Didn't hate my idea. First draft finished Sunday morning. Beta said "nice but...." She was right, and I had to do massive rewrites. I changed the ending 4 times. Then in the last 6 hrs all the other betas flaked. Got a nice last minute read-through by a fellow 2nd round writer. I hit Submit at 11:54.

I woke up hating my ending (too cutesy and pat), but thinking the story wasn't my worst. Not my best for sure. I liked my characters, though. Based my antagonist on a crap boss I once had LOL That was cathartic at least.
~Sea

aerolissa View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote aerolissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 10:58am
I'm trying to forget my story ever happened Wacko I know if I go back and look at it right now that I might have serious regrets! My inner editor didn't have much time to romp around, for better or worse. I'll let time pass and then maybe I'll feel a little better about it Wink Ended up scrapping my whole idea on Sunday afternoon, rewrote it, realized it was the wrong genre, and then changed everything to first person in the hopes of salvaging the ha-ha. 

On the plus side, my story came in strangely under 1500 words, and technically was put together within the last 4 hours or so of the round. So maybe Round 3 is feasible? My brain is unsure. LOL. It needs time for at least 50 revisions to be happy.

But that was so wonderfully stressful in the weirdest of ways. One thing's for sure: my celebratory glass of wine felt so rewarding afterwards. Thumbs Up

Edited by aerolissa - 27 Mar 2017 at 11:00am
SSC Ch1 - Simplicity
SSC Ch2 - Trojan Horses
ABC View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:04am
Originally posted by AMOSD AMOSD wrote:

I scored my least favourite genre (romantic comedy) and managed to write something that is possibly less funny than a eulogy. My beta reader described it as tawdry and sad and I'm not sure I managed to improve things from there. I'm feeling like I've wasted a place that should've gone to someone more flexible in their writing.

Oh- this was exactly my experience! Romantic Comedy and my Betas said it was sad and melancholy. I was furiously editing and cutting right up until the last possible minute. 

Sweaty brows and jittery fingers were involved. Sigh.
ABC View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ABC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:07am
Originally posted by SakuraHime SakuraHime wrote:

How is everyone feeling? I really liked my Rd 1 piece and I'm just not feeling great about this one. My normal beta readers all bailed and I just struggled to find a unique and interesting plot for my prompts. I'm a mess; I just feel like I let myself down after making it through (and just barely, coming in fifth in my Rd 1 heat).

Aw- you are not alone! This was a tough one. The combo of three days with an assigned genre is what does it for me! I almost think round three would be easier- shorter time frame but you can write in your wheelhouse. Some of us will get there anyway!
seawhere View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote seawhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 11:44am
Originally posted by aerolissa aerolissa wrote:

One thing's for sure: my celebratory glass of wine felt so rewarding afterwards. Thumbs Up

Cheers! Beer
~Sea

justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 12:09pm
Originally posted by AMOSD AMOSD wrote:

I scored my least favourite genre (romantic comedy) and managed to write something that is possibly less funny than a eulogy. My beta reader described it as tawdry and sad and I'm not sure I managed to improve things from there. I'm feeling like I've wasted a place that should've gone to someone more flexible in their writing.

If your story is even half as funny as this post, you've got nothing to worry about! 

Edited to clarify:  I don't mean your feelings are funny--but I giggled out loud at "possibly less funny than a eulogy."  I'm very sure you belonged in R2 just like everyone else who made it through!  It's a tough round!

Edited by justmel - 27 Mar 2017 at 12:16pm
sinister View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sinister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 12:17pm
I feel really good about mine, although I just looked at it again and found a sequence where there were three "he saids" in a row, so that sucks, and I'm not sure why I didn't catch that.  But such is life.  
SakuraHime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SakuraHime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by Sarah88 Sarah88 wrote:

Just because you didn't nail a particular genre the very first time you tried it, doesn't mean you're not a flexible writer! That's like saying that I'm not a flexible athlete because I can't play water polo: of course I can't, I've never tried and I don't know the rules. But if I made the effort to learn and practise, I'd get better :)

THIS.

2019 FFC R1 Who Needs a Wall? (Gr: 35 – PoliSat/A Garbage Dump/A Grill)
SakuraHime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SakuraHime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2017 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by seawhere seawhere wrote:

All the things everyone has said. Favorite genre but I couldn't make an original or interesting plot from the prompt. Scrapped first idea, started fresh on Sat morning. Didn't hate my idea. First draft finished Sunday morning. Beta said "nice but...." She was right, and I had to do massive rewrites. I changed the ending 4 times. Then in the last 6 hrs all the other betas flaked. Got a nice last minute read-through by a fellow 2nd round writer. I hit Submit at 11:54.

I woke up hating my ending (too cutesy and pat), but thinking the story wasn't my worst. Not my best for sure. I liked my characters, though. Based my antagonist on a crap boss I once had LOL That was cathartic at least.

I love that you used it as a way to deal with a jerk boss. That's awesome!
2019 FFC R1 Who Needs a Wall? (Gr: 35 – PoliSat/A Garbage Dump/A Grill)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>