NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Titles and Synopses?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Carriebeth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 9:32pm
Heat 1: Comedy/ rookie police officer/
Running race

Racing in Heels

As a novice on the force, Officer Posey never knows what the night will bring. Tonight, it will bring *sparkle.*

Edited by Carriebeth - 28 Mar 2017 at 9:34pm
fistofcurry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fistofcurry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 10:42pm
Originally posted by Carriebeth Carriebeth wrote:

Running race

Racing in Heels

As a novice on the force, Officer Posey never knows what the night will bring. Tonight, it will bring *sparkle.*

Welcome fellow round oner. Looking forward to reading it.
aerolissa View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote aerolissa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2017 at 10:51pm
Originally posted by fistofcurry fistofcurry wrote:

Originally posted by Carriebeth Carriebeth wrote:

Running race

Racing in Heels

Welcome fellow round oner. Looking forward to reading it.

Yayy! Three of us! Welcome, welcome.
SSC Ch1 - Simplicity
SSC Ch2 - Trojan Horses
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 3:49am
Originally posted by awayatpost awayatpost wrote:

Heat 2: suspense/a funeral/a tutor

IT’S YOUR FUNERAL!

In the year 2030, Nora is devastated to receive a funeral notice. Still, there’s a ten percent chance
she won’t be the one in the coffin.

It ended up being a *rather* dark near-term dystopia/political satire-ish thing (though hopefully suspenseful) about population control in a post-health insurance world. I didn't intend that; I think that's just what was available in my brain. Also, after I submitted it, I read something on the forum about different word counts between Google Docs and MS Word. In a panic, I logged into my work account, which is my only access to MS Word, and double-checked, and, sure enough: my erstwhile 1995-word story was now 2025 words. I did some frantic cutting and resubmitted (before midnight) -- that's allowed, right? Please say that's allowed.

Yes, they take the most recent submission, as long as it's before the deadline. You should be fine.

And -- did the MS Word count include your title and synopsis? Sometimes I add those after I've switched from Docs to Word... and then have a moment of panic when I forget to take them off the count. That seems like a really large difference. I've had the two counts be off by a few words, but never by 30...

FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
taequeendo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote taequeendo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 4:28am
I'm so excited to read these! Are the confirmation emails out yet? Ugh. Waiting is agony.
awayatpost View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote awayatpost Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 8:54am
Originally posted by plkphoto plkphoto wrote:

Yes, they take the most recent submission, as long as it's before the deadline. You should be fine.

And -- did the MS Word count include your title and synopsis? Sometimes I add those after I've switched from Docs to Word... and then have a moment of panic when I forget to take them off the count. That seems like a really large difference. I've had the two counts be off by a few words, but never by 30...

Thanks, yes; synopsis included! All I can think of is that I'd included a number of section breaks (though not 15!) marked with "**"s -- I think MS Word decided they were words, and Google Docs didn't. Anyway, I've learned my lesson and will double-check all word counts in Word in the future...
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 9:23am

Originally posted by plkphoto plkphoto wrote:

Thanks, yes; synopsis included! All I can think of is that I'd included a number of section breaks (though not 15!) marked with "**"s -- I think MS Word decided they were words, and Google Docs didn't. Anyway, I've learned my lesson and will double-check all word counts in Word in the future...

Synopsis and title don't count in the final total -- just the story. Scene breaks and hyphenated words both get counted differently by different word processors, though. That's usually where the extra words show up. :)

FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
Imaginative Insanity View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Imaginative Insanity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 10:07am

Another frustrating thing I've found is that MS Word counts ellipses as three separate words. As in, each dot is its own word. Helpful during NaNoWriMo, but alas, not for this.
Tonatale View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tonatale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 11:51am
Group 5 : Ghost Story / volunteer firefighter / loan

Way Station
A volunteer firefighter gets a call on a cold night. He receives some unlikely help in discovering a piece of history.

I wrote this one from 3am-6am while on vacation. Some betas salvaged it a bit. Glad to see several others from my group posting!
Medici View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Medici Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2017 at 4:28pm
Group 5: Ghost Story / volunteer firefighter / loan

Emil

Rebecca Steiner cannot face reality after her husband dies, and financial problems, which she does not acknowledge, threaten to ruin her life even more. With the help of her mother and her deceased husband, she will be forced to go back to her senses.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 9101112>