NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waiting is a nightmare.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 16>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:44pm
Originally posted by Laura Laura wrote:

Now for another shot at the second round...don't you know I'll get comedy again Dead

If I get horror again, by God, I will find a way to work in a writing competition.
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:45pm
Anyone not make it through to the next round but still interested in writing this weekend?  It would be great to get a couple of folks together to write anyway, randomizing this weekend's prompts, to keep the momentum going.  We can motivate each other!  

My biggest disappointment in coming *thisclose* in Round 1 is the lack of assignment and deadline to keep me from being distracted by life.  I was really looking forward to writing this weekend...  but who's to say I can't?  Wink  PM me if you'd be interested in joining me.  This way I've made a commitment and can't find other, more pressing things to do.  Like laundry.  Or Facebook.  Or catching up on "Hotel Impossible."

lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:52pm
Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

Now for another shot at the second round...don't you know I'll get comedy again Dead

If I get horror again, by God, I will find a way to work in a writing competition.

I.

WOULD.

BUY.

THIS.

BOOK.

I swear, if I get another ghost story I will make good on making new ghosts.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

De Chelonian Mobile View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote De Chelonian Mobile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

Anyone not make it through to the next round but still interested in writing this weekend?  It would be great to get a couple of folks together to write anyway, randomizing this weekend's prompts, to keep the momentum going.  We can motivate each other!  

My biggest disappointment in coming *thisclose* in Round 1 is the lack of assignment and deadline to keep me from being distracted by life.  I was really looking forward to writing this weekend...  but who's to say I can't?  Wink  PM me if you'd be interested in joining me.  This way I've made a commitment and can't find other, more pressing things to do.  Like laundry.  Or Facebook.  Or catching up on "Hotel Impossible."

I would love to read and review for you Lisa. I'm more than a little surprised you didn't get into the 2nd round.
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:57pm
Originally posted by Isaryth Isaryth wrote:

Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

NGL, I was expecting to be bounced this round. I didn't write the traditional fairy tale. I wrote something that I thought "This just might barely make it in." And I went back and forth on "Is this historical fiction or a fairy tale? Fantasy or a fairy tale? Western imperialistic culture-appropriating myth-making or a fairy tale?"

But in the end I wrote a story that I liked, and that was good enough for me.

And I made it into the next round!

I saw your story up there. First place in your heat, wasn't it? Congratulations.

Thanks! I'm still a bit in shock.

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by Heartstart Heartstart wrote:

This might be a silly question, but for the life of me, I can't find the list of winners and HMs on the website. I managed to access it a few hours ago at work, but now it seems to have vanished. Is anyone else having this problem? 

(And I got an HM. Bit disappointing not to have made it through, but could have been worse, given it was my first time, and in a totally new genre (Spy). Well done to everyone who made it to Round 2!). 

http://bit.ly/2nEH6mJ

lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by De Chelonian Mobile De Chelonian Mobile wrote:

Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

I would love to read and review for you Lisa. I'm more than a little surprised you didn't get into the 2nd round.

Thank you, that means a lot. Devastating to get my hopes up seeing my name, only to see the two letters next to it.   They should really put HMs on a separate page with a list that long.  And no one who posted in my group got through, so there's really no context around what the judges were looking for.

I'm glad to see you made it through, I loved your story!  Best of luck this weekend and feel free to hit me up if you need a beta.
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
Laura View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:04pm

I'd actually love a horror at this stage. Isn't it funny how one always gets the genre they most despise? It's like they know

Can we vote to remove certain genres?

On my kill list:
political satire (pls just no)
comedy (its no joke)
spy (tumble weed blows by)

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:08pm
I'll take you up on your offer, Lisa. 3 days! Yikes!

De Chelonian Mobile View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote De Chelonian Mobile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:09pm

I'd actually love a horror at this stage. Isn't it funny how one always gets the genre they most despise? It's like they know

Can we vote to remove certain genres?

On my kill list:
political satire (pls just no)
comedy (its no joke)
spy (tumble weed blows by)

Noooooooo!

Comedy is my first choice always!
Political Satire would be around 4th on my list

Spy I could live without.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 16>