NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waiting is a nightmare.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 16>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:08am
Originally posted by tcFlash tcFlash wrote:

Vernacula, congratulations. That is exciting. I didn't doubt it that you would move on. Good luck in round two.

Thank you, sir. You are a true gentleman.
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:16am
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

Originally posted by justmel justmel wrote:

I didn't get through.  I'm not sure how to feel about it since only one of the ones that did was posted in the forums (congratulations, Meg!).  Best of luck in R2 to all those who made it!

Thank you! You'll get it next time. Don't worry!!

(I was the only one here? Are you sure about that?) 

I was in Heat 37--Horror, a long-distance relationship, a housekeeper.  Only three stories in my heat were posted in the forum--mine and two others.  One of those others got through to R2 ("The Renovation").

But thank you for the encouragement.  I didn't really expect to get through, but . . . My first year, I was #5 in my heat.  In my second year, I was #1.  This year, not even an HM.  I'm really feeling kind of down right now.  Horror is just not my thing.  Dead
tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:22am
Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

Vernacula, congratulations. That is exciting. I didn't doubt it that you would move on. Good luck in round two.

Thank you, sir. You are a true gentleman.
Thank you, that is very kind.
guinevereredux View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guinevereredux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:27am
Does anyone else getting that sinking feeling of "why did I think my 'talent' was worth investing in?" after not making it to the next round?  Does it get easier?  This was my first competition.  

Cry

Edited by guinevereredux - 21 Mar 2017 at 12:28am
Read my 1st Round story titled The Useful Princess
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:31am

Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

Self-fulfilling prophecy.  "The Art of Rejection."  My self-help guru is dancing with glee.  Maybe he'll give me a job writing short stories.  Ha.

Honorable mention.  Nice to be recognized but not enough to keep going.  I'm super disappointed.

Congratulations to everyone who is advancing.  I saw some well-deserved winners on that list.

Congrats on the honorable mention. I thought your story was hilarious. That self-help guru was a riot act!! 

Thank you, I really appreciate that.  

I saw you made it - congratulations!!!  Feel free to send me a note if you need a beta this weekend.  I'll have some time on my hands... Cry
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:45am
Originally posted by guinevereredux guinevereredux wrote:

Does anyone else getting that sinking feeling of "why did I think my 'talent' was worth investing in?" after not making it to the next round?  Does it get easier?  This was my first competition.  

Cry

Writers like us invest a lot of time in writing. I'm sure that is true of you or you would not be having these thoughts. I do think it is good for us to realistically evaluate our talent. I would suggest, if you haven't already, that you submit stories to other competitions that don't have a time limit and that don't provide prompts. Work on that story until it shines. Submit it and see what happens. 

I have been part of this challenge and the forum for four years. I haven't missed a flash fiction or short story challenge since I started. I can honestly tell you this. It hurts for a short period after I get passed over again. But the difference in my writing between when I came here and now is something I am excited about. My worst stories have been written in these challenges. Don't ask me why, but it's true. Outside the NYC Challenges, I have written some pretty good stories, but that would not have happened if I had not actively taken part in the forum.

It's each person's choice to return or not. Choosing the right motive for being here helps. I don't come here to win. I come here to grow.

Edited by tcFlash - 21 Mar 2017 at 3:05am
tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:54am

I didn't get through.  I'm not sure how to feel about it since only one of the ones that did was posted in the forums (congratulations, Meg!).  Best of luck in R2 to all those who made it!

Thank you! You'll get it next time. Don't worry!!

(I was the only one here? Are you sure about that?) 

I was in Heat 37--Horror, a long-distance relationship, a housekeeper.  Only three stories in my heat were posted in the forum--mine and two others.  One of those others got through to R2 ("The Renovation").

But thank you for the encouragement.  I didn't really expect to get through, but . . . My first year, I was #5 in my heat.  In my second year, I was #1.  This year, not even an HM.  I'm really feeling kind of down right now.  Horror is just not my thing.  Dead

You are a good writer. Don't question that. But good writers are a dime a dozen, really. The great thing about being a good writer is that you can get better. I heard Stephen King say that once. He said that bad writers can't get better, but good writers can become great writers. 

But not every good writer will become great. Only those who keep on working at this craft will become great. I'm not saying I will. I was a late starter, so the clock is ticking on me. But I think I have some good stories to write, better than what I've done up to this point. And so do you. So get ready for the Flash Fiction Challenge. I'll see you there.
guinevereredux View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote guinevereredux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 12:57am

Choosing the right motive for being here helps. I don't come here to win. I come here to grow.

Thank you so much for your reply. And thank you for the reminder of why I came here. I didn't come here to win, I came here to even see if I could do it. It would have been really nice to make it to round 2, just to know I had that, but even completing this is a huge feet for me. I had brain surgery almost 4 years ago, and couldn't write for a really long time. Before that, I had taught writing, and self-published. At this point, doing my first competition, I think I need to just congratulate myself on actually having even finished. I'll practice a lot, now that I know that I can do it, and I'll do better in the next one. Thanks for telling me about your own growth in this process. It's really helpful to hear it.
Read my 1st Round story titled The Useful Princess
tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 1:48am
Originally posted by guinevereredux guinevereredux wrote:

Choosing the right motive for being here helps. I don't come here to win. I come here to grow.

Thank you so much for your reply. And thank you for the reminder of why I came here. I didn't come here to win, I came here to even see if I could do it. It would have been really nice to make it to round 2, just to know I had that, but even completing this is a huge feet for me. I had brain surgery almost 4 years ago, and couldn't write for a really long time. Before that, I had taught writing, and self-published. At this point, doing my first competition, I think I need to just congratulate myself on actually having even finished. I'll practice a lot, now that I know that I can do it, and I'll do better in the next one. Thanks for telling me about your own growth in this process. It's really helpful to hear it.

I look forward to seeing you here again.
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 2:59am
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

Self-fulfilling prophecy.  "The Art of Rejection."  My self-help guru is dancing with glee.  Maybe he'll give me a job writing short stories.  Ha.

Honorable mention.  Nice to be recognized but not enough to keep going.  I'm super disappointed.

Congratulations to everyone who is advancing.  I saw some well-deserved winners on that list.

YOU WUZ ROBBED!

It felt very "Confederacy of Dunces"-like. I loved the story and the craziness of it all.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 16>