NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shooting Short Written for Competition

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turtle7313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Shooting Short Written for Competition
    Posted: 23 Feb 2017 at 10:21am
Hello all!

I am working towards taking a short that came from one of these challenges and elongating it and shooting it as my first tangible short film. I wanted to check in to see if anyone else has done this or if there are any rules within the competition that would make this difficult for me. 

I have read through the official rules of participation and didn't see anything specifically about shooting a film however, I have been known to miss things in that document in the past. 

Thanks!
~Turtle

Edited by turtle7313 - 23 Feb 2017 at 10:22am
FFC CH1 GR 38 - A Broken Family - http://bit.ly/2ufVHFu
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 1:48pm
Are you talking about a script that you wrote and entered? Or someone else's script? If the former, then you can do whatever you want with it. You own all the rights to your own work. However, if it's the latter, then you need to communicate with the screenwriter first in order to secure their permission. A contract should be entered into so that both of you know exactly what is happening and what to expect. In most cases, contracts are not legally binding unless money changes hands, so at the very least you would have to pay the writer a dollar in order to make the deal legal. If you were to simply take another writer's work and make a film from it without first securing the proper permissions, you would be opening a legal can of worms you really don't want to get involved with. As for NYCM, you don't need to worry about them. Somewhere in the rules there's mention of rights and the fact that the screenwriters are not giving any rights away to the competition, that the rights fully belong to the writers. That's pretty standard with any competition. Good luck.
turtle7313 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote turtle7313 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2017 at 2:04pm
Hi Niles, thanks for the response! I am definetly talking about my own short that I wrote and entered. From what I hear there are some competitions that have a stake in your final product, so I wanted to be sure that I was clear of that possible issue with NYCM. I had read through the official rules however it wasn't crystal clear to me. Thanks for the clarity. :)

FFC CH1 GR 38 - A Broken Family - http://bit.ly/2ufVHFu
 Post Reply Post Reply