NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So, what happens next?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote csderuyter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2017 at 3:48pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

I am going into tonight with zero expectations.  When I was brave enough to get my hopes up in Flash I crashed and burned big time.  So I'm neutral.  Anxious, but neutral.

I'll be pressing the refresh button a hundred times tonight with everyone else, hopeful that I did not jinx myself by entitling my story The Art of Rejection.

Best of luck to you!  

Lisa, SAME here on the FFC. 

LOL about your story title. :) Best of luck to you too!
Monsieur Renard View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monsieur Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 4:08am
So we've got our results. Congratulations to everyone who got through, it was a tough a contest. Now my question is, who gets feedback? Just the top 5? Top 5 + Honourable Mentions? Everyone?

Anyone know how they do this?

EDIT: found an old email from the organisers, we all get feedback.

Cheers

Edited by Monsieur Renard - 21 Mar 2017 at 5:04am
tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 6:17am
Originally posted by Monsieur Renard Monsieur Renard wrote:

So we've got our results. Congratulations to everyone who got through, it was a tough a contest. Now my question is, who gets feedback? Just the top 5? Top 5 + Honourable Mentions? Everyone?

Anyone know how they do this?

EDIT: found an old email from the organisers, we all get feedback.

Cheers

The feedback can be sketchy sometimes. Feedback here in the forum is much more helpful in my opinion.
Monsieur Renard View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Monsieur Renard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 8:01am
Originally posted by tcFlash tcFlash wrote:

The feedback can be sketchy sometimes. Feedback here in the forum is much more helpful in my opinion.

Ah, thanks for the heads-up. That's a shame, I was looking forward to the "professional" feedback. Mostly about why I was an HM but not a top 5 and what I could do about it in future. I have enjoyed the forum feedback though, so that's a plus.
nicayal View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nicayal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 11:32am

Ah, thanks for the heads-up. That's a shame, I was looking forward to the "professional" feedback. Mostly about why I was an HM but not a top 5 and what I could do about it in future. I have enjoyed the forum feedback though, so that's a plus.

Same, except my feedback in the forums indicated I seemed to have missed the mark a bit with my story + genre, etc. but I ended up getting an honorable mention as well. So, if anything, I'm hoping for judge feedback that explains what the judges liked about my piece so I can compare it with the more critical bits of feedback I got on the forum and see if I can make more sense of everyone's opinions on the whole. But I guess we'll see soon enough. Tongue

Congrats on your HM, by the way!
SSC 2017: R1 H43 - Spoiler Effect (Honorable Mention)
SSC 2018: R1 H28 - Crossroads
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 6:47pm

Some folks do post their feedback as well - which can help you in sussing some of that out. :)
tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 11:00pm
Originally posted by nicayal nicayal wrote:

Same, except my feedback in the forums indicated I seemed to have missed the mark a bit with my story + genre, etc. but I ended up getting an honorable mention as well. So, if anything, I'm hoping for judge feedback that explains what the judges liked about my piece so I can compare it with the more critical bits of feedback I got on the forum and see if I can make more sense of everyone's opinions on the whole. But I guess we'll see soon enough. Tongue

Congrats on your HM, by the way!

When our peers are critiquing, they may be wringing our stories out looking for one little tidbit to use as a negative point. They aren't trying to be mean, just balanced. Nobody wants a review that is simply a slap on the back and being told they just wrote the next War and Peace.  So here in the forums, we may go overboard a little in search of a valid negative point.  The judges, on the other hand, tend to be quite forgiving on the subject of genre. We are even told in the instructions from the outset to be creative in interpreting the genre.  But this can really be a time for us to view our work objectively, and it sounds like that is what you are wanting to do. These contrary opinions force us to honestly evaluate which one is true. For me, that is a valuable part of these challenges and forums. I gain a deeper understanding of my writing and of myself as a writer.

Edited by tcFlash - 21 Mar 2017 at 11:04pm
seawhere View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote seawhere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 11:13pm
I'm one of the weirdos who finds the"professional" feedback helpful. It could be I've had a run of good luck the last couple of years, but the technical tips I've gotten have made a difference in how far I've gotten in subsequent competitions. Also, got published this year. So, yeah, helpful.

In general, I find our peers to be more story-specific in feedback (and that goes for me too!). The judges get into writing as a whole, in my experience. Again, I could be lucky.
~Sea

tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by seawhere seawhere wrote:

I'm one of the weirdos who finds the"professional" feedback helpful. It could be I've had a run of good luck the last couple of years, but the technical tips I've gotten have made a difference in how far I've gotten in subsequent competitions. Also, got published this year. So, yeah, helpful.

In general, I find our peers to be more story-specific in feedback (and that goes for me too!). The judges get into writing as a whole, in my experience. Again, I could be lucky.

Congratulations on being published. Fantastic. I think you are correct about our peers and ourselves as peers, are story specific. Good point.
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2017 at 11:49pm
Last year I had a judge whose reading level was probably around 6th grade. Sorry to sound bitter, but I've never received such support and apologies from THIS community over such ghastly feedback (just from one judge - the other two loved my piece). It's luck of the draw. That said, most of that top 16 percent deserve to be there.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>