NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"Views" vs Real Visits to Your Story

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: "Views" vs Real Visits to Your Story
    Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 2:39am
When I first came to the NYCM forum, I was surprised at how many views I had of my story. After a couple of years I began to notice that even my own clicks onto my Short Story Review page (not my story, but my page in the forum where I post the URL to my story) increased my views (recorded under the view column in the forum) So I began using Google Analytics to get a better account of real visits to my story. 

To make a long story short (pun intended) every five views recorded in the NYCM forum for my story, is equal to one real view of my story. Put another way, divide the total number of Views attributed to your story by the NYCM Forum by five to calculate the real number of visits to your story. Keep in mind, one person may access your story more than once.  NYCM Views ÷ 5 = Real Views (of your story).

The NYCM View count is not a record of how many people visit your story but of how many times your forum page (where you posted the URL to your story) has been accessed. There is a big difference between the two. It counts your own visits to your forum page as well as visits by others. In addition, NYCM Views count every time you switch pages if you have multiple pages of comments on your story.

This is really only an example of how the numbers break down for me, but it gives you a better indication of how many times your story has been read by someone from the NYCM forum community. 
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 6:32pm
This would also depend on how many times you refresh the page yourself. Someone who automatically checks even when they don't have a new post would probably increase their own views faster… but yeah… views =/= reads. And if you get into a conversation in your comments section, that will also increase your views. Every new comment page click is a view. ;)
FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 6:36pm
Yes, that is what I have found as well. It's interesting that they've set it up that way. They must have a reason. It would be nice if it only recorded once per visit to the person's page in the forums.
Archon1995 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Archon1995 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2017 at 8:21pm
TIP: To see if you have any new posts to your story without actually going to it (or tracking it down as thread), scroll down the first post in the Master Thread to your heat and story link.

Once you've read a thread the link color goes to a lighter blue (at least for me it does). If there's a new post to it since the last time you read that thread the link becomes bolded; if there hasn't been any new posts since then it remains un-bolded.
[insert pithy quote here]
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 10:15am
Originally posted by tcFlash tcFlash wrote:

Yes, that is what I have found as well. It's interesting that they've set it up that way. They must have a reason. It would be nice if it only recorded once per visit to the person's page in the forums.

programmatic.  Each comment is in fact a unique database entry. Each time the content is compiled and presented for viewing, this action is noted as a view. there is no reliable way to separate when you view the page vs when someone else does. it simply records when the material is requested and provided for display.
tcFlash View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tcFlash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Feb 2017 at 8:11pm
Originally posted by Archon1995 Archon1995 wrote:

TIP: To see if you have any new posts to your story without actually going to it (or tracking it down as thread), scroll down the first post in the Master Thread to your heat and story link.

Once you've read a thread the link color goes to a lighter blue (at least for me it does). If there's a new post to it since the last time you read that thread the link becomes bolded; if there hasn't been any new posts since then it remains un-bolded.

Reading the latest post in email is another way of staying out, but you don't get to see the entire thread.
Migilla View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Migilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2017 at 12:11pm
My stories are posted in Wordpress so I use their stat tracker as a more realistic guide to how many have actually gone to the story, as opposed to clicked on the forum page.
Round 2
Group 17.
Ghost story
Dropping food on the floor.
A pet's leash.
https://tinyurl.com/5n8kn2uj
Austin16 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Austin16 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2017 at 5:45am
Thank for this help
 Post Reply Post Reply