NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Judging our stories. I'm thinking out loud.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 1:36am
Originally posted by SteampunkGal SteampunkGal wrote:

Does anyone know when they announce who will proceed to the next round?

According to the confirmation email they sent out:

"Judging will now take place and we will announce the results by 11:59PM EST on Monday, March 20th via e-mail and through our facebook and twitter pages."

In general, they let us know a couple of days before the next round. These days, feedback usually comes through just before the next round (not by much, but it used to always come after).

If they're running late for any reason, they'll send an email by that time anyway. 

Smile
FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2017 at 1:37am
Originally posted by Gudlyf Gudlyf wrote:

Originally posted by plkphoto plkphoto wrote:

Prior to that, we'd occasionally get judges who would just give all the stories in their heat some sort of generic strategy for improvement, e.g. "tighten up your writing to improve readability." This may be a good piece of advice, but it surely didn't apply to all 30 stories in the heat…

God, I am so happy they did this! I was quite fed up with seeing the same feedback being reported everywhere, meaning the judges were totally mailing it in on their feedback. Find judges who have the time to provide meaningful and unique feedback that makes sense! It's only fair to us paying for it, as I imagine the judges get paid, right?

They get paid... but not a lot. A few dollars per story. Which can be a good chunk of change if they're reading a couple hundred stories -- but they won't want to spend an hour on each story to give extreme feedback. Wink
FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
tonicwater79 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonicwater79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2017 at 11:40pm
I think, if nothing else, I'm really looking forward to the feedback about what I wrote. The Genre in particular was a real challenge for me, and I'm interested to see if I actually hit it. I think I did.

Of course, going on to Round 2 would be nice too! Tongue
"She holds the pen that spells the end, she traces me and draws me in."

writerman View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote writerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 4:30am
Originally posted by tonicwater79 tonicwater79 wrote:

I think, if nothing else, I'm really looking forward to the feedback about what I wrote. The Genre in particular was a real challenge for me, and I'm interested to see if I actually hit it. I think I did.

Of course, going on to Round 2 would be nice too! Tongue

I fear you will be disappointed re the quality of the feedback.

you would do better to give feedback to lots of stories here so people will return the favor on yours. The feedback from your fellow writers, in past years anyway, has been much better than what I've experienced from the judges.
tonicwater79 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tonicwater79 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2017 at 5:35am
Good to know! It's my first time in this contest.

I'll try to remember to upload my story later today. Any feedback is good, really. I like knowing if what I'm trying to get across actually gets there, if people can actually make a connection, things like that.

"She holds the pen that spells the end, she traces me and draws me in."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12