NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thread of solidarity for those freaking out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ShortSofie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 10:43pm
Was struggling with my prompt to create something out of the box and felt like I was settling for the first idea that popped in my head because I was afraid I wouldn't get it completed. (This is my first Short Story competition but I have done the Flash Fiction.)
My boyfriend read the prompt and was able to give a different perspective. I quickly ran to my laptop and haven't stopped writing since!
Don't give up guys!
Sprinter101 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sprinter101 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 11:51pm
Finally made myself write tonight after a few hours of sitting and thinking of possible ideas.

I have Fairy Tale/Ultimatum/pessimist which i thought would not be that bad, but alas, when is life easy?

I am happy i started writing something, but i began to hate the direction it was going into. Might start again tomorrow. Argh
Laura View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Laura Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 5:22am
Anyone who got comedy -- you have my sincerest condolences. I find it the hardest genre of them all. 

Also, for anyone panicking that they don't have enough time, trust me when I say YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Hook the coffeepot to your jugular, close the door on life, and fire up Word. 
One word at a time my turtles, we will make it across this finish line!

Parsifal View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parsifal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 6:30am
I have two openings over two separate computers and a memory stick, neither of which I'm ultimately happy with but am now at the stage where I have to pick one of them. Then build the rest of the story. Which made a lot more sense when I started. 

AARGH!
AlmostSquamous View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlmostSquamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 9:52am
I have now made myself sit down and do a paragraph by paragraph plan of how the story will play out. At least feel more organised in my thoughts now. I have a couple of hours to draft, then life is yanking me away from my desk again (augh).

Aside from a two-hour appointment tomorrow afternoon, I have all day to work. If I am still struggling to get sh*t out by the evening, I honestly think I'm going to open a bottle of wine, because that seems to loosen my creative process (though NOT a habit anyone should get into). Then my sister (who I haven't seen in months) is coming to visit on Saturday which is probably the Worst Timing Ever. Looks like I'll be writing and editing up until the deadline, which is 5am Sunday for me!
Read my 1st Round story titled Radio Violence

--

58 weasels in a trench coat. Or possibly a duvet full of coconuts. Author-in-training. Bunburyist.
AlmostSquamous View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlmostSquamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 11:38am
I have written half. In an hour. I've only stopped because I've got a nasty mind and have made myself feel a bit sick. But suddenly this seems attainable again. Hooray! Stick with it, people...
Read my 1st Round story titled Radio Violence

--

58 weasels in a trench coat. Or possibly a duvet full of coconuts. Author-in-training. Bunburyist.
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 11:59am
I'm a little astounded to be able to say I've managed a complete draft.  It's imperfect, to be sure, but it's *something*.  Last night I decided I had no choice but to throw the whole thing in the trash and start over from scratch.  This morning, I started to do that, but something made me go back instead to the draft I'd gotten stuck on.  I read up to the point where everything fell apart, deleted (or rather, saved in a different file) everything that came after that point, and started off again from there.

So I have a new strategy in my tool box now.  If you're on your way somewhere, and you suddenly discover you're lost, you don't go all the way home and start over.  You just go back to the spot where you got lost, and you continue your journey again from that point, hopefully heading this time in the right direction.

Good luck to all.  There's still lots of time! 
Parsifal View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Parsifal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 12:15pm
I'm halfway and now am fighting the ideas off with a stick. There's no room for all of them!
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 12:44pm
If we were doing flash the contest would have just started. That's what I keep telling myself.
Lpap View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lpap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2017 at 12:47pm
I'm with you on the idea of wine to jumpstart my flow.  Will be picking up a very large bottle after work in the hopes my blurred thoughts can be edited into a story tomorrow with a clear head.

Best of luck.
You have to play the game to change the game.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 13>