NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thread of solidarity for those freaking out

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 3:37pm
Solidarity needed here for sure.  I think I'm going to start a support program - Reluctant Comedy Writers Anonymous.

Came up with an idea I was happy with on Friday night.  Spent most of Saturday writing.  

My first few betas liked the premise but hated my execution.

Rewrote Sunday. 

To completely mixed results.  'It's not funny."  "It's funny."  "What do you mean by comedy?  I'm not rolling over laughing.  I guess it's not funny."  "Looks good, you have some good zingers in here."  "Great opening."  "I hate your opening."  "Why don't you just write a story about.... "

I think I'm on rewrite 5 now.  I'm way too stubborn to scrap it and start from scratch.

Especially since, for once, I'm happy with my title and synopsis.

Comedy is no laughing matter.  No pun intended.  Maybe.  

*gives self concussion by banging head on desk*
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 3:38pm
Originally posted by LisaJade LisaJade wrote:

I still haven't written a word :(
I got comedy, and I thought of an idea. Ran it by my husband and he didn't think it was funny, so now I'e got nothing.

I'm on my fifth rewrite for Comedy.

I hate this.
AlmostSquamous View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AlmostSquamous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 6:14pm
Originally posted by LisaJade LisaJade wrote:

What's your genre?

I got suspense, which is a nightmare to build and conclude in 2,500 words. Totally not my genre either.
Read my 1st Round story titled Radio Violence

--

58 weasels in a trench coat. Or possibly a duvet full of coconuts. Author-in-training. Bunburyist.
Hart View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Hart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 6:30pm
Saturday - Monday words all went in the bin. Tuesday Was spent brain storming. Super excited with a new idea today, no where near finished. Glanced at the Word count... 2600

Gah!

Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 7:30pm
Count me in. Horror is a B. I feel like I have to be able to scare myself to know if I'm scaring others, but nothing scares me (that would fit in this genre, with these prompts...believe me, I've tried). The nervous breakdown prompt was a curse! Gah! And at least there are 3000+ entrants this time around. Just to make things fun.

At least I've scaled down my idea list to 23.

Poop.
Lolo View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lolo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 9:33pm
To completely mixed results.  'It's not funny."  "It's funny."  "What do you mean by comedy?  I'm not rolling over laughing.  I guess it's not funny."  "Looks good, you have some good zingers in here."  "Great opening."  "I hate your opening."  "Why don't you just write a story about.... "

Sounds like a tie, Stephen King says tie goes to the writer...Wink

stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 9:48pm
I'm really sorry to hear of all your struggles.

I have no other advice but the obvious: write.

Doodle, draw, take notes about other things, imagine the worst possible story based on your prompts. Just do that. At some point it clicks.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Chasen View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chasen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 9:52pm
Finally, a completed draft.  
r.arora View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote r.arora Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 9:58pm
I'm trying to work on my second draft. Did great yesterday reviewing the first making notes, did great today at lunch getting started on revisions. Then I had to go back to work and never got back to it. Then I came home and didn't take advantage of kid bath time to write, just sat and enjoyed the silence in my living room.  And now, kid is, hopefully asleep, and I am struggling to focus to get this draft reworked. 

Maybe I can magically disappear for a large chunk of my work day and bang it out? Or have all of real life waiting for me at home after work.  

Or maybe wine will help.  I'm going with that one. Wine, then more writing.  
dmarie84 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dmarie84 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2017 at 10:21pm
I totally understand. Mine is written but I am less than thrilled with it. Seems utterly predictable and horribly cliché. Ah well. I'm sticking with it!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>