NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

"This is for all you new people..."

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 26>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Schrifty Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2016 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by TiggersGirl TiggersGirl wrote:

I do not see this in the comments so I will ask if anyone knows how to do this or even if it's possible. Is there a way for me to reply to a comment on one of my entries and have my reply drop down immediately underneath their comment? It seems like I should be able to do this. Just clicking reply doesn't seem to work.

When you click the "quote" button rather than the "reply" it'll copy/paste the text of the comment you're replying to, but there's no way for it to nest the comment directly under the one you're replying to.

If you're worried that the person you're responding to won't see your response you could try sending a PM to the user directly.
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2016 at 1:03am

I do not see this in the comments so I will ask if anyone knows how to do this or even if it's possible. Is there a way for me to reply to a comment on one of my entries and have my reply drop down immediately underneath their comment? It seems like I should be able to do this. Just clicking reply doesn't seem to work.

If you are talking about sequencing of the posts - so that your reply appears as the post right after their comment - no.  posts appear in the order created.

If you are talking about their text - like the quote above - two things:
1. if you click "quote" instead of reply, it will include their text
2. if you want to break it up, use the tags  bracket-QUOTE-name-bracket to open a quote, and bracket-slash-QUOTE-bracket to close it so you can control what appears in your quote.

Using method #2:

I do not see this in the comments so I will ask if anyone knows how to do this or even if it's possible.

answer to the first part

Is there a way for me to reply to a comment on one of my entries and have my reply drop down immediately underneath their comment?

Answer to the second part

Hope one of these answers your question Tigger

Edited by nixie - 13 Aug 2016 at 1:03am
Suesoss View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suesoss Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Aug 2016 at 3:14pm
Over time, I finally got a link to my story to appear in the list of stories (Group34, "Gotcha!").  However, I can't seem to place a link in the signature section so they appear below my comments.  Any "directions for dummies" would be helpful -- assume I do not speak any tech.  Thanks. 
I'd love your feedback. Thanks.
David and Goliath: Take Two (Group 34, Challenge 2)
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 7:23am
Originally posted by Suesoss Suesoss wrote:

Over time, I finally got a link to my story to appear in the list of stories (Group34, "Gotcha!").  However, I can't seem to place a link in the signature section so they appear below my comments.  Any "directions for dummies" would be helpful -- assume I do not speak any tech.  Thanks. 

Sorry, Sue - I have rendered that as simply as I am able in the instructions already posted here. Hope someone else is able to assist - or you may want to "phone a friend" who can walk through those instructions and show you how to work through them.  (In fact, I highly recommend that, so that they can show you any other tips that may help.  as a 21st-century writer, basic web skills will be an essential, so finding a good tutor may be a huge bonus anyhow :) )
Enneidra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Enneidra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 1:51pm
I am sorry.  I, too, am working from a Mac. I can't seem to understand or follow these directions.  It's not working for me.  I am disappointed Angry and confused.  I so want to be a part of these forums and get feedback on my story.  Hope you can help me. 
Enneidra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enneidra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2016 at 1:52pm
I see I have a signature but no story. Confused.

nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Aug 2016 at 10:05am
Originally posted by Enneidra Enneidra wrote:

I am sorry.  I, too, am working from a Mac. I can't seem to understand or follow these directions.  It's not working for me.  I am disappointed Angry and confused.  I so want to be a part of these forums and get feedback on my story.  Hope you can help me. 

URLs and posting a message to the forums do not work any differently on a Mac than on a PC.  I am sorry you are having difficulty understanding the instructions - but if you don't relate to the way i explained it, I am probably not the person to assist.  you may want to recruit a web-savvy friend to look over them with you and see if they are  able to assist.

Edited by nixie - 12 Jul 2018 at 5:16pm
plkphoto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote plkphoto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 8:21pm
Just want to remind everyone that nixie is not being paid by NYCM for any of these posts and is just a writer participating in the contest like the rest of us. So thank you for putting this post together nixie!

Also make sure you read the instructions set out by NYCM in the pinned post in the Review forum, as that might help clarify things.

Enneidra -- The forums should work the same for Mac or PC… I'm on a Mac too. 

In your post for the review forums, you need to host your story on an outside site (not copy and paste it directly into the message body). You can edit your post to include a link to your story on Google Docs or an outside blog site. Do you have a Google (or gmail) account? If so, you should already have an account for Google Docs. Otherwise, it's easy to set up. You can just go to https://docs.google.com/ and set up an account with your email address. They have a heap of "getting started" instructions -- what you want in the end is a link to "share" with the option that "anyone with the link can view" in your privacy settings. You can then put that web address in the forum post.

For your signature… Copy and paste the following entire line of code into the signature box and you should have a link to your story:

[URL=http://forums.nycmidnight.com/ch1-gr32-grave-trap_topic13144_post152908.html?KW=#152908]Round 1: Grave Trap[/URL]

Hope this helps.
FFC 2018

Ch1 Gr62 -- The Other Side of the Coin (Thriller)
Enneidra View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Enneidra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 8:54pm
I will change it as soon as possible. Thank you. I appreciate all of your help.
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2016 at 10:46pm
Thanks plkphoto. That is some great added detail that I am sure will be helpful.

And I see my note sounded a little less friendly than I intended - sorry E! I didn't mean to infer that "you don't get it" just that "my way of explaining wasnt working for you." No insult intended - but when I saw the quote I realized it could have sounded snippy, which I didn't intend!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 26>