NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Judging Error

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Levi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 1:50pm
Just browsing the forums and I came across this. Sorry to bring up old news, but this was my first time participating and I had a similar experience. I didn't make it to R3 as I only made honorable mention with my R2 script, but the judge who seemed to hate my submission would criticize things that weren't in my script. The one thing that really stood out is when he or she claimed that I had two montages and that's "too many for a five page script" or something along those lines. I did not have two montages.

Anyhow, it's all in the past now. Just thought I'd share. I did not email NYC about it, but I left a note in when I was asked to rate the feedback.
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2017 at 4:51pm
Yeah, I have to treat this as a fun competition where skill helps, but ultimately whether the judge got cut off on the way to work or got a bad cup of coffee or had a fight with their spouse seems to have as much influence, if not more, as a well-crafted story.

I got HM for R2 on a story, with a negative comment of "Pull up the RESERVE." Which, as you might think, isn't actionable feedback.

Oh well. It's the fun and the camaraderie, not the winning. Right?
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2017 at 8:20pm

It's like school teachers ... they have a set number of key phrases and they just cut and paste.  Quality judging.

You can tell when you get a judge who really read your piece and made a considered response?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234