NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Co-writing

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote De Chelonian Mobile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Co-writing
    Posted: 06 Apr 2017 at 4:01pm
I know in the official rules, co-writing is allowed, but does anyone actually do it?

This past week I had the opportunity to co-write a short story. It was the first time I have ever written anything with another person. It turned out to be a great experience, although, I can see how it would have been horrible if the wrong writing partner was involved.

With the right partner, there were some huge advantages. Her skills as an editor are far superior to mine, which left me free to forget about sentence structure and focus on creativity. I think our story turned out to be a really fun mix of both of our writing strengths.

It was a submission for a small college flash fiction contest, so we will know in a few weeks how well it was received by the judges. Prompts were A Paper Airplane / A Substitute Teacher.

Anyway, I was just wondering if anyone here team writes, or if there are any good tips or tricks to using co-writing effectively?
BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 8:09pm
I think collaboration is exciting - I've done it on non-competition screenplays before, but never prose. I think the main cowriting that works for me is to discuss the story and get the ideas shaped - when it comes to actually getting the words down I think there has to be one "driver at the wheel" at a time, but resuming collaboration in review and redraft perhaps.

BG
R1 Soft Strings, Slow Strings
R2 The Ravens of Villers-Bretonneux
R3 Mrs Pendleton's Corpse
bdcampbell View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bdcampbell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2017 at 9:51pm
I know there was a co-writing team in a recent screenplay competition on here. A friend and I have talked about it but we haven't tried it yet. Good luck.
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 8:56pm
I've never done it, but I'm impressed by anyone who can work together like that. There's a great episode of Frasier where he and his brother, Niles, try to write a book together (about great sibling relationships, no less), and they wind up in fisticuffs. It's from season 1, and it's called Author, Author. 
Tricksie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tricksie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2017 at 9:37pm
Ilona Andrews is actually the pen name of a married couple who write together. I do NOT think I could write novels with my husband. I think that would end in divorce. 
R1 H18 Abso
R2 H2 Special Things
R3 Find the Light
BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2017 at 9:33am
Originally posted by Tricksie Tricksie wrote:

Ilona Andrews is actually the pen name of a married couple who write together. I do NOT think I could write novels with my husband. I think that would end in divorce. 

Haha - probably wise not to try! I've said the same thing about playing golf...

BG
De Chelonian Mobile View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote De Chelonian Mobile Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 3:51pm
As an update, I found out today that the story we co-wrote won first prize in our college flash fiction contest! :-) $100 and publication in our literary arts magazine.
Zelda View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zelda Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 3:57pm
Originally posted by De Chelonian Mobile De Chelonian Mobile wrote:

As an update, I found out today that the story we co-wrote won first prize in our college flash fiction contest! :-) $100 and publication in our literary arts magazine.

Hey, congrats!! That's wonderful news!! Clap
LaraH View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaraH Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 11:53pm
That's great news!
BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 May 2017 at 9:58am
Originally posted by De Chelonian Mobile De Chelonian Mobile wrote:

Outstanding! Well done.

BG
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic