NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Confidence is never a good sign

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthonypittore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confidence is never a good sign
    Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 8:59am
As a writer, we often live in a constant world of nerves, dread, and insecurity.

For the first time, I'm feeling confident about my submission. . . which almost certainly means I will not make it to the final around. Ouch

Anyone else ever feel like this?  It's kind of like how they say being nervous before a test helps you perform better.

Eugh.
Stay Scary,

Anthony
www.AnthonyPittore.com

Read My Round 2 Script: http://tinyurl.com/yatdajb3
rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:31am
I think confidence in your own work is great - as you allude to, I'm sure it is relatively rare among writers!  
And, having just read your submission (hey, I had to check out the work you were feeling so confident about!), I think you have every right to be, it's really fantastic. 

My question for you is, doesn't the confidence in your own work just ramp up the nerves, dread and insecurity for the competition? Because whether it's a good piece of work or not, it's out of your hands now and down to others' subjective view.

I am totally calm this round for the opposite reason - I think my submission is good but likely not good enough. So I've made my peace with going out this round. Plus I'm away this weekend celebrating my 10th wedding anniversary, so if I did get through, I think I would be putting my marriage on the line! Maybe I can call my R3 submission On the Line as well in that case LOL 

Good luck tonight!
Round 1 flash fictionAn Eye for an Eye
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 9:57am
I find it's better to be balanced - not overly optimistic, but not a debbie downer, either. 

In the comps I've done here so far, two of (what I thought were) my best pieces didn't make it through -which was tough. Others that I felt were "just okay" scored high - a happy surprise. So you just never know. In a contest where advancement is contingent on the opinions of a few other people, anything can happen.

So I just sit here with butterflies, trying to distract myself with the work I've been neglecting due to the excitement around Flash Fiction.

14-ish more hours to go.

Good luck!
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 10:06am
I'm not confident for the following mathematical reasons:

1 in 5 go through
1 in 9 people in my group uploaded to the forum
I was not the best horror story in my group on the forum (take a bow, Broth by Splinker*)

So we extrapolate out, I won't be in top 5!

TG

*just my opinion!
My R3 Screenplay: Beneath All Else
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 10:09am
Originally posted by Tim G Tim G wrote:

I'm not confident for the following mathematical reasons:

1 in 5 go through
1 in 9 people in my group uploaded to the forum
I was not the best horror story in my group on the forum (take a bow, Broth by Splinker*)

So we extrapolate out, I won't be in top 5!

TG

*just my opinion!

Broth was great, but yours spooked me too, Tim!!
FFC Challenge 1 The Exchange
Anthonypittore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Anthonypittore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 10:36am
Originally posted by rossinny rossinny wrote:

My question for you is, doesn't the confidence in your own work just ramp up the nerves, dread and insecurity for the competition? Because whether it's a good piece of work or not, it's out of your hands now and down to others' subjective view.

That's my problem... I really don't have any worries. I am confident I'll make it, but that's not a normal feeling so I feel like my mind is setting me up for a huge fall.
Stay Scary,

Anthony
www.AnthonyPittore.com

Read My Round 2 Script: http://tinyurl.com/yatdajb3
Splinker View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Splinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 10:43am
That does not sound like the most confident post
D.H. Splinker
https://tinyurl.com/R3Screenplay
https://tinyurl.com/SPIN-R1H32

Splinker View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Splinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 10:49am

This is exactly why it is so important to invest in a Magic-8 ball.

One in five are deent odds. It's the final round thst is always brutal.

And tim, thanks for the good words. your story is a crowd pleaser
D.H. Splinker
https://tinyurl.com/R3Screenplay
https://tinyurl.com/SPIN-R1H32

hyenalickn View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyenalickn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 11:34am
I wouldn't say that I'm confident, but I am proud of my screenplay(s). This competition has made me write a spy and a suspense script, two genres I didn't really think I'd find myself writing, so I'm happy about that. I put my best foot forward and now it's time to let the cards fall where they may. I definitely have the butterflies, though. I woke up today and my first thought was "Today's the day...."
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jul 2017 at 11:56am
First screenplay I was stupidly nervous about, and finished 2nd in my heat. And I wasn't convinced it was that good to begin with, though I was happy about what I'd produced.

Second one (results tonight, dammit!), I was very happy about, then I slowly started doubting, and I mean, MASSIVE doubts... So yeah. We'll see tonight I guess.

As for my first FFC, well... Not gonna lie: I love how it came out. And now the wait begins...

Good luck everyone!
FFC C1a Hooked
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic