NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Comedy vs Horror

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Aug 2017 at 5:00am

I think comedy and horror often compliment each other ... people need to laugh away the tension ... and there is a certain schadenfreude when somebody gets it in the neck.  All of my writing includes comedy ... it is a fault of mine ... 

eswan27 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote eswan27 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Aug 2017 at 2:27am
Love seeing this post -- so relevant to my piece this year. My assigned genre was horror, and I anticipated the primary criticism would be that it wasn't on-point with the genre... but I'm banking on psychological discomfort and unpleasant social norms winning in the end. Still, the experience of both horror and comedy are so subjective -- like the line between laughter and crying, or gross and fascinating -- that a combo genre would probably yield some fascinating pieces as writers intentionally open the door between the two.

Maybe we see future assignments which intentionally combine genres?? :) Like... a horror fairytale? Or a historical rom-com? Yes? Could this be a challenge of its very own? I'd be in.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12