NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Character Names

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 4:10pm
If I'm writing a novel, I put more thought into it. My unpublished NaNoWriMo novel from last November has the following: 

• The main character's best friend has the same three initials as my best friend. Smile
  • The romantic lead has the same initials as a very good friend of mine who died a year and a half ago. Cry Definite homage there. He was a published author, and his private eye character had my initials. (Pure coincidence, because he hadn't met me when he started his series.) 
  • One of the secondary characters--not the bad guy, but he isn't all that likeable--has the name of my enemy hidden within it. I.e., if my enemy's name were Lex, my character's name would be Alex. 
  • Another character's name has major symbolism hidden in it, as well as an inside joke only my sister would understand. 
  • The other characters have average names, in my attempt to make the story credible. (I hope.) 
With short stories/flash fiction, I just try to use names that sound believable. Like, I think this round's characters were Mitchell Gaskins and Dr. Fortner. Sounds good, right? 
MattrickBT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 4:23pm
Originally posted by Alexis_H Alexis_H wrote:

This has been playing on my mind and I've realised the name of my character in my round 2 piece is actually the name of an old mental asylum. Now that I have made the connection, it feels even better given that my character is suffering a mind-destroying disease. 

Maybe my brain does have a system and I just don't know about it?

The brain definitely has a system. This is why if I'm having trouble with a story, or some nagging problem I either can't see, or I can't figure out how to fix. I'll go for a walk with some headphones on. I'll think about other things and eventually the random solution usually comes out of nowhere for me. This also happens in the shower. A lot of my best writing is one when I'm not writing at all. I figured out some great ways to edit my novel while watching American Dad! in bed lol
4th - R1 G52 The Bad Man

R2|H14The Hour
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2017 at 4:24pm
All depends on the piece. If I feel the character needs to have a distinct name, I agonize over it a bit. If the name isn't really important to the story, I just use whatever jumps into my head.
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
Heather52384 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heather52384 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 11:51am
I usually name characters based on the time period I set my story in. Sometimes I will search for names popular in a certain year, around the time my main characters would have been "born." Region also plays a part, rural versus city and country. For my Challenge 1 story, I searched names popular in ancient Pompeii and came up with Livia. It worked. 

I wrote a novel (still sitting on my hard drive) about ten years ago and took pains to make sure all the characters had names somehow rooted in water. Looking back, I spent a lot of time trying to name my characters instead of simply writing. Lately, I find names that are short and sweet and to the point. 

However, when I read, I appreciate writers who use unique names for characters. I guess that points out some differences in my inner writer/reader. 
Heather N. Santo
100-Micro:A Warning (GhostStory)
mhelgens View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mhelgens Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 10:24pm
Originally posted by Schrifty Schrifty wrote:

I really like the "Behind the Name" site to find names that are common in specific countries or that mean certain things. I use it for surnames more thanĀ  first names but I needed it when I was researching Czech names for round 2. Searching for popular baby names for a particular era is also helpful if it's a period piece.

I do have to Google any names that sound too good because they're probably an obscure actor or columnist or someone famous whose name I don't realize I've absorbed. These include but are not limited to January Jones, Soren Bowie and Joe Scarborough. Someone else wrote a story where the love interest was Amanda Palmer so I know it's not just me.

A friend of mine told me that she was struggling to determine a first name for her character Mr. Gray. She eventually settled on Dorian, not realizing what she had done until her creative writing workshop members asked the significance/connection of her story to Oscar Wilde So definitely not just you!
Read my R1 Story: LINK= https://forums.nycmidnight.com/topic51959_post550543.html#550543
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2017 at 11:14pm
Regarding names in fiction, I am sick to death of YA books which feature boys named Derek or Lucas. (Or worse, a book with a Derek AND a Lucas!) Drives me crazy. Again today, at the bookstore, I picked up yet another book with a Lucas!! Facepalm. 
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 12:02am
I think I'm just plain sick of YA books. They all seem to be torrid, sappy romance or post-apocalyptic stuff about weird societies. They've all but ruined post-apocalyptic stories for me :'(

I named the 'villain' (more like an entity) in The Catacombs 'Aggregate' because it's literally an entity comprised of every nightmare to have ever been dreamed.

4th - R1 G52 The Bad Man

R2|H14The Hour
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 7:45am
Originally posted by MattrickBT MattrickBT wrote:

I think I'm just plain sick of YA books. They all seem to be torrid, sappy romance or post-apocalyptic stuff about weird societies. They've all but ruined post-apocalyptic stories for me :'(

I named the 'villain' (more like an entity) in The Catacombs 'Aggregate' because it's literally an entity comprised of every nightmare to have ever been dreamed.

I love this.

Names are not my main concern when writing these competitions, unless the story calls for it. I had to find a name that was "foreigny" for a screenplay, something that would have a distinct spelling, yet could easily be mistaken for a more common English name, but it was also a plot point. 

Other than that, I just roll with what the character tells me. Kind of a gut feeling thing.
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 8:39am
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

Regarding names in fiction, I am sick to death of YA books which feature boys named Derek or Lucas. (Or worse, a book with a Derek AND a Lucas!) Drives me crazy. Again today, at the bookstore, I picked up yet another book with a Lucas!! Facepalm. 
Ever since 'The Hunger Games' it seems like every YA heroine has some weird-ass made up name that no one's ever seen before. <smh>

NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2017 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Zblugg Zblugg wrote:

Originally posted by MattrickBT MattrickBT wrote:

I love this.

Names are not my main concern when writing these competitions, unless the story calls for it. I had to find a name that was "foreigny" for a screenplay, something that would have a distinct spelling, yet could easily be mistaken for a more common English name, but it was also a plot point. 

Other than that, I just roll with what the character tells me. Kind of a gut feeling thing.

Not sure if you liked my villain name or my stance on YA lol.  And easy way to find foreigny names is to just look up different variations of common names in your area. Most countries/languages have some variation on the spelling. Just for my own name alone: https://www.behindthename.com/name/matthew/related
4th - R1 G52 The Bad Man

R2|H14The Hour
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>