NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A new(ish) flash fiction competition

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote innatejames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by innatejames innatejames wrote:

[QUOTE=Ornery Angel] I would love to participate in the any of a number of the challenges you have setup, but they seem really confusing. The site references a grid, but I can't find the grid and I keep getting rerouted back to a page that has a lot of editorial content, but no clear instruction on how to participate. What gives?

Also, I'm revising our instructions now to make it more clear where to find the challenge grids. Thanks for this feedback, Ornery Angel.

Nate
FF R3 G19 The Event Planner (Suspense)
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:19pm
Hmmm.

10/13 YeahWrite Challenge 1
10/20 Fiction War
10/27 YeahWrite Challenge 2 (assuming advancement)
11/10 NYCMidnight FF Challenge 3 AND YeahWrite Challenge 3 (assuming advancement) 

Who's a glutton for punishment? 

>looks around sheepishly and raises hand<

Not that I'm assuming I'd advance, but I'm not sure if the idea of 2 Flash comps in 1 weekend terrifies or thrills me....

Edited by nod1v1ng - 14 Sep 2017 at 1:20pm
innatejames View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote innatejames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Hmmm.

10/13 YeahWrite Challenge 1
10/20 Fiction War
10/27 YeahWrite Challenge 2 (assuming advancement)
11/10 NYCMidnight FF Challenge 3 AND YeahWrite Challenge 3 (assuming advancement) 

Who's a glutton for punishment? 

>looks around sheepishly and raises hand<

Not that I'm assuming I'd advance, but I'm not sure if the idea of 2 Flash comps in 1 weekend terrifies or thrills me....

Haha! I know quite a few writers who are doing both NYCM and YeahWrite. I can put you in touch with them if you want strategy ideas! We (at yeahwrite) tried to schedule around the NYC Midnight competition dates, but then we competed with FictionWars or the Writer's Workout challenges, so we kept the 11/10 date.

Let me know if you have questions! 

Nate
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote innatejames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by MattrickBT MattrickBT wrote:

One contest is enough for me. I have several novels and other stories to work on instead of these disposable stories.

That's fair. I do, however, know quite a few NYC Midnight writers who've revised their stories and published them.
MattrickBT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 2:11pm
I am sure that's the case though this contest is basically an exercise in style for myself. I don't expect anything I whip up from a prompt to inspire me beyond style. It's possible, but unlikely. And even if something did, it's in queue behind a years worth of work. Once I write this story this weekend it's out of my head. Then it's back to work on going through my editor's edit of my first novel.
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote innatejames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by MattrickBT MattrickBT wrote:

I am sure that's the case though this contest is basically an exercise in style for myself. I don't expect anything I whip up from a prompt to inspire me beyond style. It's possible, but unlikely. And even if something did, it's in queue behind a years worth of work. Once I write this story this weekend it's out of my head. Then it's back to work on going through my editor's edit of my first novel.

I admire your dedication. I'm a writing nomad, I guess, wandering around from shiny plot to shiny plot.
MattrickBT View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MattrickBT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 2:25pm
I'm the same way, which is why I've got four novels in various stages of completion along with a novella and some unwritten short stories, plus vol. 2 to one of the novels...I do make sure actually sit down and finish them, but then I let the draft sit and I move onto the next project. This worked fine at first, until I'd written 3 1/4 books and none were ready for publication yet LOL
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 2:30pm
Now that I'm pretty much assured NOT to advance this time around, I may throw my hat into the ring here, InnateJames. I'm already doing Short Screenplay and Fiction War, but this could be fun. And a good opportunity to continue building my portfolio of (non-disposable) stories.

Can you send me more information so I better understand the challenge and its requirements?

And congrats on your 15! Smile
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 2:49pm
InnateJames, just checked out the site and I have a question. Does everyone participate in all three challenges, or is it like NYCM where the top scorers from #1 go to #2, etc.?

Thanks!
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote innatejames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2017 at 2:55pm
Hi Lisa! It's progressive, like NYCM. But we're still small, so most writers can expect to participate in the first 2 rounds (he says, and then a million people sign up and that won't be true anymore). So maybe I should say, historically, 80% of the writers have written for the first 2 rounds.

Edited by innatejames - 14 Sep 2017 at 2:55pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 20>