NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

24 hours - eek?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote amy8i8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 8:23pm
Ugh ugh ugh - I'm so beyond upset right now.  I feel like a complete idiot.  I misread the deadline on the final round challenge - I thought it was midnight at the end of the weekend, like the flash fiction challenge and other short fiction challenges I've done, instead of midnight saturday.  Saw May 5-6 and, for some reason, in my head that meant 2 days.  It was a really dumb mistake.

I just feel so defeated, because I got first place in my first two heats even though I really didn't expect to even make it through and I was really feeling confident on this one.  I also could have submitted last night had I realized.  

Sorry guys, I know it's annoying to just vent on here like this.  I just feel so disappointed and awful about myself and I needed to say it where people would understand.

Good luck to everyone who submitted though! <3 <3 <3
Read my Round 3 Story, Viking Funeral
LyndaD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LyndaD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 8:47pm
Amy8i8, I completely understand!  In the FFC, I miscalculated time zones and daylight savings time.  I realized as I was driving to pick up my daughter from work (15 minutes each way) that I had 40 minutes -- not an hour and 40 minutes -- to pick her up, get home, write a synopsis and submit.
I actually wrote the synopsis while driving, texting it to my husband at stoplights so I wouldn't forget it. I made it with minutes to spare, and would have missed altogether if my daughter had been held up at work.
Don't beat yourself up; you've written three amazing stories and become a part of this wonderful community.
BlackGate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BlackGate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 9:06pm
Amy8i8 - argh! I miscalculated before as well but it was round two. Don't kick yourself too hard, sounds like you're a strong writer and you are bound to be back.

BG
R1 Soft Strings, Slow Strings
R2 The Ravens of Villers-Bretonneux
R3 Mrs Pendleton's Corpse
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2017 at 12:12pm
Originally posted by amy8i8 amy8i8 wrote:

Ugh ugh ugh - I'm so beyond upset right now.  I feel like a complete idiot.  I misread the deadline on the final round challenge - I thought it was midnight at the end of the weekend, like the flash fiction challenge and other short fiction challenges I've done, instead of midnight saturday.  Saw May 5-6 and, for some reason, in my head that meant 2 days.  It was a really dumb mistake.

I just feel so defeated, because I got first place in my first two heats even though I really didn't expect to even make it through and I was really feeling confident on this one.  I also could have submitted last night had I realized.  

Sorry guys, I know it's annoying to just vent on here like this.  I just feel so disappointed and awful about myself and I needed to say it where people would understand.

Good luck to everyone who submitted though! <3 <3 <3

Sorry to hear this. :(

It's so frustrating!
SWC R1 H45 | Best of Breed
SSC R1 H46
SSC R2 H13
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic